•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

is it safe to take these things out?

dutinsss

Reaction score
i've got an '88 bronco II that i'll use for my summer job and then i'm going to lift it and turn it into a trail truck. i'm trying to figure out all of the things that i don't use that i can take out to make room and just simplify things in the engine bay. i'm wanting to delete the a/c, egr(depending on how involved that is), evap system, cruise control, and pretty much anything that is not needed and i don't use anyway. then i'm going to remove the wiring for it and re-loom the wires that i need. besides just unbolting things and taking them out, is there anything i should know before getting started? also, i've noticed a few wiring connectors that are just laying around and capped off. is that just for things that my bronco might not have come with maybe? thanks.

Beanmachine7000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
I'd leave the EGR, there is no benefit in taking it off (plus, it's illegal)... The A/C system is the one thing that would probably give you the most room...

dutinsss

Reaction score
yea, a/c is the main one. whats the deal with the vacuum lines that run from the cruise control, to the intake, and the one that runs through the firewall? and do i just cut the evap line where it comes from the tank and remove everything else from the engine bay and be alright?

Jason

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
(formerly) 200
Vehicle
Ford
I'd leave the EGR, there is no benefit in taking it off (plus, it's illegal)... The A/C system is the one thing that would probably give you the most room...
That compressor could also give you the start of a nice onboard air system.

AKBroncoII

Reaction score
I don't think the 88's had EGR anyways. I thought it was an 86-87 only thing.

Jason

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
(formerly) 200
Vehicle
Ford
I don't think the 88's had EGR anyways. I thought it was an 86-87 only thing.
Actually I think EGR's were on everything built here since the 70's. I could be wrong.

Psychopete

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
NONE
Actually I think EGR's were on everything built here since the 70's. I could be wrong.
You are. :D J/k.

Seriously, 86-87 2.9L - has EGR. 88+ does not. But if it is a 2.3L, that is a different story.

If you want to remove a lot, try to carb 2.9L, put in a carbbed 2.8L, or generally any engine with a carburetor. Then you can remove the EFI harness entirely. Relooming the wiring sounds a little more work than it's worth IMO. Trust me, I just pulled my EFI harness out last week. :icon_twisted:

Pete

Last edited:

dutinsss

Reaction score
well i took all of the a/c except for the condensor and the black box out. i'll get a heater box out of a non-a/c truck and swap it out later on. i still have some un-needed connectors, mainly on the passenger side around the air box that i'm going to trace down and remove. do i need to pull any fuses out? i looked in the fuse box but didn't see one for the a/c.

HndMeDnBroncoII

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
BroncoII
Engine Size
why the hey would u do all that to make room for what tree branches and water
the cruise is operated by the intake manifold vaccuum the ac can be pointless but if u leave the ac pump in place it can be converted for on board air and yes fords have lots of extra wire plugs for different accessories or styles just ignore them
if u really want lots of engine room go get a4cyl barebones truck and save urself a lot of headaches and the guys here are always helpfull with questions and there is lots of research matierial in the tech section good luck

dutinsss

Reaction score
thanks for the info guys. to answer the question of why i want more room, it just makes it easier to work on. and i'm one of those people that, if i don't use it, i just don't want it there taking up space. maybe i'm just strange haha. i'll be running this motor for a while, but i plan to swap in a carbed v-8 in the future, so i think i'm just going to leave all the extra wiring where it is.

tomahawk350

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Why would anyone want a carbed motor when they already have a good FI motor? FI is the sh*t for steep angles and cold temps....

Chance

RIP - 10/7/2010
Reaction score
Why would anyone want a carbed motor when they already have a good FI motor? FI is the sh*t for steep angles and cold temps....
Way to bring up an old thread, although I like jason's last post, and I REALLY want a carb'd engine right now. Why? FI is a pain in the ass, clutters up the engine bay, and I want to run propane which can run at any angle :D