•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Is this normal..or will I die?

whocares

Reaction score
Today I did the rear brakes in the BII, decided to check the fronts since I just got the thing a few weeks ago. Took off the passenger front tire, set it aside.
Removed the locking hub/cover thing there and of course its packed with about 3 metric tons of grease. Nothing death defying just yet.
I was cleaning out some of the grease and when I grabbed the splined end of the axle (the part that goes in the locking hub) it moves...up and down....about an inch and a half or more.
Seems like a lot of play, but I dont know the first thing about the d28 (or any other really) axle. So is this normal or is the axle bearing (or some other bearing) in need of replacement? Thanks for any suggestions, I'm off tomorrow so depending on what you guys say is wrong here, I may be spending the day replacing bearings and other random whatnottery :annoyed:

Thanks, Ron

zukirider21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
"is this normal..or will i die" LMFAO

im no expert, but im pretty sure that the part of the locking hub that the splined portion of the axle shaft goes in to is all that centers the shaft. or at least thats how it appeared to be on my friends bronco.

whocares

Reaction score
I figured its a 50/50 shot...I'm pulling for normal though. It just seems like a lot of movement, and since I dont know much about the background of the vehicle I'm planning on replacing the bearings and cv's and things anyway. Maybe I should have made this a poll.

Ron

NMB2

July 2010 OTOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
5.0 V8
dude its normal, the hub centers it.

whocares

Reaction score
Sounds good to me, thats two votes for normal. I'm driving it. Thanks for the help.

Ron

Yellowsplash

U.S. Military - Active
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Yes, its normal for it to move, but there is a spindle needle bearing in the spindle itself. Next time you do wheel bearings/balljoints/u-joints it would be a good idea to inspect it.

Frank The Tank

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
98 70
Vehicle
Protege' F100-R
Engine Size
1. sumthing 7.3 gasoline
Life is Suicide "Billy Courgan/Smashing Pumpkins"

you will in fact die.

Will it be from play in your splined axle shaft that isn't being centered by the hub........ nah.

Frank

whocares

Reaction score
Frank the Tank, let me get this straight....your saying THIS particular loose axle wont kill me, but perhaps some OTHER axle in my future could?
I wonder if it will be a loose axle I own or just some strange axle that I never met before..... Thats 4 votes for normal, and one guarantee by Frank the tank that I may not, in fact, live forever.

Thanks, Ron

wantaranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
completely normal but yea your gonna die, infact alot of people will, and i can tell you when.
December 21st, 2012
lol

Frank The Tank

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
98 70
Vehicle
Protege' F100-R
Engine Size
1. sumthing 7.3 gasoline
completely normal but yea your gonna die, infact alot of people will, and i can tell you when.
December 21st, 2012
lol
Only the Mayans will die on that day........ duh!!!

but I'm hosting a Mayan Ranger Owner exclusive party at my house on the 20th..... All the free parking you want (RBV's only), leave your keys labeled on my key chain rack.

Frank

whocares

Reaction score
I almost forgot about 2012....I should have just consulted the Mayan calendar about this loose axle. Frank, be careful about who you invite to the party, we are in the same state and you never know I just might show up. Now that everyone has assured me that this axle will not be the end of me, I feel like celebrating.

Ron

Frank The Tank

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
98 70
Vehicle
Protege' F100-R
Engine Size
1. sumthing 7.3 gasoline
So why aren't you wheeling with us? Or eating bar b q pork with us other ky and tn guys that do that sort of thing?

I will not be throwing any parties till I'm back home from barge tour....... see yall in a month and a half lol.

Frank

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
I can't imagine the spindle can even let it move and inch and a half. Maybe 3/4 and inch at the farthest point of the axle, but yes, it's normal.

turtle3.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Only the Mayans will die on that day........ duh!!!

but I'm hosting a Mayan Ranger Owner exclusive party at my house on the 20th..... All the free parking you want (RBV's only), leave your keys labeled on my key chain rack.

Frank
Contrary to popular belief that is actually the day the Mayans were set to get a new calender . . . I believe a "Hotties of the Month" if i'm not mistaken.

whocares

Reaction score
So why aren't you wheeling with us? Or eating bar b q pork with us other ky and tn guys that do that sort of thing?

I will not be throwing any parties till I'm back home from barge tour....... see yall in a month and a half lol.

Frank
I'm actually just getting back into wheeling after a few years hiatus. Havent been anywhere serious since the Badlands about 5 years ago. I was looking at the website for Harlan county and it looks interesting. Right now the BII is stock, a little rough, with 84k on the clock. Once I address a few issues with the front end, I'll feel a little more confident in taking it on a little road trip to do some wheeling and camping. Im thinking it should be ready in a few more weeks. I'm always open to suggestions to other places you guys are going to, I dont know of many other OHV parks around, but it would be cool to meet up and have some food and some wheelin.

Ron

whocares

Reaction score
I can't imagine the spindle can even let it move and inch and a half. Maybe 3/4 and inch at the farthest point of the axle, but yes, it's normal.
Glad you posted in here, I was initially wondering if this would have been related to the "delayed" response of the front axle when in 4wd. I posted in your thread regarding that since I'm having the same issue.

Ron