•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Jomega Intro

jomega

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
Suspension Style
4wd
Hey guys,
Just signed up and wanted to say hi. (and also ask some questions).

Been scouring the site relentlessly while I mess with my new B2.

Here's a pic of my new purchase:

I believe it has a 3" lift on it. I'm new to off-road SUVs (usually stick to motorcycles). I measured the rear blocks and they're 2.75 (guessing 3 under load)

After driving it for a couple of weeks, I think I want to do away with the lift.. it handles like a boat on stormy waters on the road. 95% of my use will be on roads so it will start to get to me. Was considering doing some serious suspension upgrades and leaving the height but I don't think I'll get it where I want it for on-road (it's also a chore for my dogs to get in and out of!)

I also know these things have a higher center of gravity as it is. It currently has 31s on it and cut front fenders so I'm hoping it'll be fine at stock height. (?)

I was looking for other Broncos that appeared to have stock heights that looked pretty clean.. found this one.

Here's the details.
https://www.mecum.com/lots/CH1018-362019/1988-ford-bronco-ii/

Can anyone tell me if that's stock height and what tire size? it says in the details it's a custom frame. I'd be happy if I could get mine to sit like that.

Thanks all.

JerryC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Take some pictures of the suspension. So we can see what you have and we may have some ideas how to fix it.

jackfrank

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
BMW
Welcome and congrats for your new purchase. It's so sweet.

jomega

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
Suspension Style
4wd
I tried to snap a few pics, I'll grab more.

Also a few updates, I pulled the lift. the front was stacked washers used as spacers! Installed new moog springs along with OEspectrum Monroe shocks in the front and back. Replaced the motor mounts and transmission mounts. Removed the 3" lift blocks from the back. The rear is still the stock leaf springs. I also noticed that it is 4 leaves.. not sure if it's supposed to be 4 or 5..

It drives better, but it still bobs up and down (feels soft) on on dips and bumps in the road. I'm not sure if it's the new shocks or not(?) Just wondering if there's anything else I should change.

Lower suspension pics.

Last edited:

JerryC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Shocks... New the BII's were softly dampened. I prefer this ride to a stiffer ride. When I got this BII the shocks were shot so I replaced them. I think with Gabriel heavy duty shocks. The ride was jarring, sometimes teeth clacking. Sharp bumps at highway speeds sometimes resulted in a lane change!!! Could have been those shocks were just defective, they were stiffer for the first half of the travel than the last half. Dirt roads were torture, just too rough and jarring. Switched to low end Monroe and I'm happy with them all things considered.

I'd like the Monroe's, particularly in the back to be a just little stiffer but I don't want to buy several sets of different brands looking for a 5% improvement.

I cant tell from the pics how worn your sway bar bushings are but a set of poly bushings will make it feel a little more stable in the corners, a lot more stable if the bushings are worn out. Bushings are pretty cheap and an easy afternoon job.

You should check the radius arm bushings, they wear out and then you get the bracket rubbing the radius arm and they destroy each other.

jomega

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
Suspension Style
4wd
Thats for all the feedback! I'll be sure to go through my bushings next.
So back to the leaf springs, I looked at my springs again and noticed this:

It looks like he pulled one of the leaves..

I'm guessing that is affecting the ride?

JerryC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
The thing is that you don't know if those are original with a leaf removed or if there stiffer leafs added so there was no need for one of the others or what.
Isn't it fun buying old stuff?
The good news is that you can still buy them new.

jomega

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
Suspension Style
4wd
There's some sort of Ford branding, though I can't ID the part number..
Looks like they're about due regardless..