•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Junk parts!

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
So I am headed home from Heather's tonight and something didn't feel right. Seemed like the B2 was vibrating more than normal. So I merged onto 70 west and I couldn't get up past 55mph because the truck was vibrating so bad I thought something was going to blow. I limped to Hamilton Rd at 55mph being passed like an idiot. I got off at Hamilton Rd and the vibration was not as noticeable. When I put the truck in neutral or held the clutch in the vibration was gone.

I pulled into a gas station and climbed under. Didn't see much to write home about. I thought maybe the driveshaft bolts were working loose. All looked tight.

Limped it home on the backroads. Got it home and took a flashlight out and looked under. Then I saw it. The rear driveshaft right at the transfer case, one universal joint cap was missing a BIG chunk and all the needle bearings were gone.

WTF, I just replaced them both less than a year ago. The one is fine, the other is TRASHED.

It is going back to NAPA tomorrow.

Insanejughead

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'94, '86
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.3T
You show them that sh!t buddy... Yeah!!

Anyway... that sucks to have lost a u-joint cup, but at least everything is good and you're safe.

kunar

Odd One
Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
i had a rear driveshaft spit out a napa u-joint less than 20 miles after i replaced it. both caps were still in the yoke. never quite figured that one out :dntknw:

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
I've had more NAPA parts fail early than I care to tolerate. It's why I don't go there anymore; they are the closest parts store to home with EXCELLENT parts staff (the best I've seen, bar none), but I can't tolerate the short-lived parts.

At least it's something relatively simple. Hopefully, it hasn't damaged the yoke.

Jspafford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Funny, I know what caused it.

When I installed it I noticed it had two caps with holes in them for the grease zerk. I though it was odd, but since it was still in a sealed bag inside a box against my better judgement I installed it.

So the grease worked it's way out the hole, along with the remnants of the needle bearings and finally it shattered.

I took it back to them a few minutes ago.

Conversation went like this:

Me: "I realise normally you wouldn't take something like this back, but when I installed it two of the caps had holes in it. However, since it was still sealed in the bag in a closed box I put it in anyway"

Guy: Sarcastically "Well you should have known the grease would come out the hole....What did you install if for??!"

Me: "I installed it for the same reason you sold it too me!"

Him: "Ok, well i'll be right back with another one.

The one I took out said USA all over it, this new one says Japan all over it.

tanbuddy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I had napa u joints fail in a month in my truck last year. The cheap crap one from parts america lasted a year. I also had a problem with the small bolts holding the caps in work there way out. Dont know if the bronco shaft is like that or not. Locktite fixed that problem 4 me

kunar

Odd One
Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
The one I took out said USA all over it, this new one says Japan all over it.
yup, they changed their supplier. they were all made in america, then they changed to another american supplier. and then when they switched back to the original supplier, the parts are now made in japan. mine were the japanese ones too.

Jspafford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
no offense but i hope this new one fails even sooner. it probably wont though.

Why would you say this? Just making a note that the one I took out was stamped USA all over it, and the new one which I got less than 6 months later now proudly says Japan all over it.

I figure if I am going to buy parts not made in america, I may as well just go to advanced auto or autozone and buy them for a hell of a lot cheaper.

skippy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
2.8l durasparked rice killer
they don't last forever?mine are original factory,25 yrs on the road.lol,good luck,buying parts is just rolling the dice anymore.

Jspafford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
The driveshaft is not even OEM. Mine had one of the crappy factory "cup" style shafts. I can never remember the name.

I bought this shaft off a guy on here about 2 years ago and had to do the joints a while back. Funny the first one I replaced is still fine, the last one I replaced is on number two already.

Oh well, Got rid of that mysterious popping noise.

skippy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
2.8l durasparked rice killer
why did you not put a zerk fitting in it?

Jspafford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Cause it only came with one in the pack.. The U-joint had two caps with holes in them. Not one like it's supposed to come with.

I didn't have any laying around, so I put it in. Thought maybe it was some new radical design.

I should have never put it in, but I did. All is well now.

I must admit running a 4WD truck with only front wheel drive is a little crazy. Thing twisted like crazy on take off.

metalmacguyver

Yeah, I built that.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 1994
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 7.3
Why would you say this? Just making a note that the one I took out was stamped USA all over it, and the new one which I got less than 6 months later now proudly says Japan all over it.

I figure if I am going to buy parts not made in america, I may as well just go to advanced auto or autozone and buy them for a hell of a lot cheaper.
i was just lamenting the fact that imports are of a higher quality than domestic products. at least in the automotive industry.

kunar

Odd One
Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I must admit running a 4WD truck with only front wheel drive is a little crazy. Thing twisted like crazy on take off.
ive been there too. when i lost that u-joint, i pulled my rear drive shaft on the shoulder of I-475 at 8:30 in the morning in 20* weather. drove the rest of the way to work, and drove back home with only front wheel drive. it squats like mad whn you get in the gas even the slightest. im just happy i was smart enough to keep a couple tools with me. im surprised i didnt bend my driveshaft or rip apart my gas tank when the u-joint let go at 70 mph and left the driveshaft flopping around.

Jspafford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
I noticed it did tear into the driveshaft side of the yoke ear a little. I looked at it closely and determined that it should be fine. I will still probably throw a 12pt 12mm wrench in the toolbox just to make sure I am covered if the time comes.

grnrngr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Heh...I blew a rear U-joint on my Wagoneer on the Oregon/Cali border, had the truck packed full of crap as I was moving from Lake Tahoe..drove all the way to Oregon City on the front driveline...damn near 300 miles..that was onew tough SOB..

Jspafford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
oh come on,you know thats not a good excuse.although i agree they should replace it.
It's not an excuse at all.. How many u-joints do you know that have two zerk fittings in them? Yeah, none.

So when I got this one, it had two caps with threaded holes and two without. Put the fitting in one and installed it.

No worries though, I have a new one, with 3 solid caps and one with the grease fitting.