•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

knocking and ticking

88mudder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
well i have a 2.9 v6 in an 88 b2 with 145,000 miles. The engine never ticked or knocked too badly. I took it offroading and ever since it knocks like crazy and ticks all the time. I did an oil change right after and added oil stabilizer to thicken the mixture up. Still ticks like crazy and knocks. Im beginning to think my engine is screwed..any help ??

nitroman812

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
2.9L but after engin work 3.2
yo what up i have a bronco 2 89.. i had the same problemturned out i had a cracked head so i replaced it.. didnt fix the problem.. so now that i was pissed off i ended up taking the hole motor appart and rebulding it compleatly.. but to make matters worse it didnt fix it.. so i took it out again and bought a rebuild kit from autozone with pistions cuz it was cheaper. . i bought 2 new heads from world products heads.. i sat down and put it all togeather.. new everything i even had world products bore my block out .030 thous and had napa clean everything.. it fixed the problem... i did a little looking around.. turns out that the 2.9 block had a bad heads and the spot the the lifters sit wears very fast and is not able to hold oil thats the knocking.. a temp fix try lucis oil stabler it worked for me.. my knocking was so bad at one point that if i spun the motor 3000rpms for like 15 seconds it would knock like crazy and wouldent stop.. so i think you might have some work headed your way.. hope it was some help.. you might be able to get away with a cam and lifters.. its a long shot... welll hoped it helped iv been there..

88mudder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
well today the truck isnt ticking that much and barely knocks..i think the oil stabilizer is used it kicking in.

88mudder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
nevermind..it doesnt tick that bad after startup but once the engine temp gets to normal it ticks alot.

90B24wd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Pop open your valve covers and check to see if oil is flowing out around the rocker arms,
then try reving it up abit. You should have a good flow of oil coming out. If not or it is dry around your rocker arms, the shafts could be clogged with dried up sludge restricting oil flow thus causing ticking.