•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Lift gate handle?!

Brittw

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford bronco II
Hi. So I just bought an 84 bronco II xlt. It’s a surprise for my husband. I’m needing a few parts but the thing I need the most is the back lift gate handle. It’s completely missing so I have no idea what it is actually supposed to look like. I’ve joined around 5 different fb groups and have exhausted every internet search. I’ve tried LMC truck, bronco graveyard, eBay, all local places,
Fb, everything that I can think of. And have not been able to find the EXACT thing that I need. Everyone keeps showing me options that fit the later models. My back door has just one single hole, which leads me to believe that the handle and lock is one solid piece. The newer models seem to have a separate hole for the lock with the handle screwed in separately above. But there is no other holes where screws might have been and I believe there hasn’t been any work done on it. Please help! It won’t let me upload a photo.

alwaysFlOoReD

Blang - not bling
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '93, '98
Vehicle
Various
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0, 4.6
Suspension Style
4wd
Yes, there is a handle with an integral lock. No, I don't know where you could find one. Junkyard? Check in the classifieds and put an ad in the wanted section;
You could also check the sister site;

Brittw

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford bronco II
I’ve checked local junkyards and have posted ads locally. Thx:). Posted on here too

Sweet-85'

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L 171CID
I’ve checked local junkyards and have posted ads locally. Thx:). Posted on here too
Honestly, it might be easier to just swap the whole back hatch. Try www.car-part.com it's a site where junk yards all across the country list their inventory, might be of some help. Good luck!

Brittw

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford bronco II
Tried that. No luck, thx ??

BroncoMike8789

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987 1989
Vehicle
Ford
The hole where the lock goes into is it a square hole? Try a universal lock. Wish you had pics of the hole on the hatch.

Brittw

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford bronco II
Finally was able to get the photo low quality enough to load

alwaysFlOoReD

Blang - not bling
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '93, '98
Vehicle
Various
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0, 4.6
Suspension Style
4wd
I notice a Canadian 4wheel parts sticker. Where are you located? I may know someone close to you.

BroncoMike8789

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987 1989
Vehicle
Ford
I need a close up of that hole use a flash on camera need to see if its a square hole where the lock goes in.

Brittw

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford bronco II
It’s just at the shop right now so I’ll have to take a pic tomorrow

Brittw

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford bronco II
I’m 100 Mile bc

BroncoMike8789

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987 1989
Vehicle
Ford
The metal part that goes inside the door look on this looks flat. That's why I need to know if the hole is square or flat. Shine a flashlight inside the hole on the door let me know.

jmburton1993

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
had the same issue with mine and wound up replacing it with one from a 94 explorer, works perfect minor mods required (drilling out mounting holes)

cassars

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Just so happens my liftgate handle snapped off tonight. 1984 Bronco II XLT. I can tell you right now they are poorly designed, so I will try one from a '94 Explorer. The only problem I see with that is that it does not have a lock.

See the images for the correct one. But trust, me you should try something different.

The business end of this thing goes into a mechanism that looks like it would work fine with the 94 explorer unit.

Attachments

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
They're pretty hard to find, and I haven't even tried taking one apart to remove it so not sure how hard they are to remove & replace...the Bronco 2's are getting harder every day to get parts off of because the aftermarket gave them no support so only way you can get many of the parts is from a scrap yard unfortunately.

alwaysFlOoReD

Blang - not bling
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '93, '98
Vehicle
Various
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0, 4.6
Suspension Style
4wd
Pretty sure I had a parts b2 with the lock seperate from the handle. All my parts burnt in a fire 2 years ago so cannot confirm.

jjfugler

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
The metal part that goes inside the door look on this looks flat. That's why I need to know if the hole is square or flat. Shine a flashlight inside the hole on the door let me know.
I have this handle and it does not work on a 1990 Bronco II therefore I have one for sale...lol. My ignorance your gain.

Brittw

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford bronco II
Could you send me a photo?

jjfugler

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
It won't work on yours unfortunately. It is the big Doorman one from Summitt. I managed to find a new one for an Explorer that works on my 1990 Bronco II.