•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Liftgate striker plate bolts

ab_slack

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
I am referring to the bolt that sticks out that the liftgate latches onto when you close it.

I was hoping to replace the plastic piece on them in my 87 BII as part of a rattle reduction effort. When I pull it off, it has the large captive (one visible in the interior with liftgate open) that doesn't seem to come off. The threads appear to have a larger diameter than the hole in the washer.

I can adjust the position so the liftgate has some tension on it which reduces the rattle quite a but was hoping to do a bit better.

JerryC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
If it is like mine, the washer threads off the bolt. Just spin the washer off like you would a nut.

Harley

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Suspension Style
4wd
when i did mine, i tapped the bolt into the washer a little and threaded it off.

ab_slack

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
I tried to get to unthread but they wouldn't. If it had threads they probably were flattened so wouldn't engage.

I ended up splitting the plastic rings, put some high torque silicon to hold them to the shaft and tightly wrapped with tape. It is quiet for now. I am not confident it will last but the plastic things were cheap.

Harley

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Suspension Style
4wd
enjoy the quiet till they break, hopefully it will be a long while...mine is even quieter since I took the spare tire rack off