•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Looking for the Blower Motor Resistor?

jkufen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1991
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
I got the A/C going in my 86 B2 and my fan only works on high. I posted a thread that addressed the issue and was informed that the problem was with my blower motor resistor and not the motor or switch itself. Well I went to change the resistor today with one from an old parts truck I got and I can't seem to locate it :icon_confused:. I read somewhere where the resistor was in a black box underneath the blower motor housing. I checked and couldnt locate it. Then I read another message that said it was in the passenger floorboard. I checked there and thought maybe I found it but it turned out to be there inertia switch. So now I am coming back to you guys, can yall help me? I saw what the resistor looks like from the advance auto parts. Now if I can only find it. The only other place is in the dash itself :bawling:

sjr53

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
It is under the hood down wind of the blower motor, which is towards the center. When mine went bad, it was the thermal fuse which looked corroded, so I just soldered a jumper wire across the thermal fuse.

jkufen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1991
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
downwind which way... is it in the center of the firewall or the center in between the blower motor and the headlight? Thanks again for the help.

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV

The big round thing is the blower motor. The thing I'm pointing to is the resistor.

jkufen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1991
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Ok im gonna have to go check again. I thought i checked all around the blower motor but i must have over looked it. Thanks!

Pbheadshots

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984/8 mix
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
A resistor going bad? That un heard of. Cheapest option to replace it is to check the color code to find the ohm rating and solder a new one on there.

jkufen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1991
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
well i was told it was the problem. My fan only works on high and some of the members here told me it was the resistor. I have an old ranger that im using as a part truck I just got to be able to figure out where the resistor is at so i can replace it.

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
A resistor going bad? That un heard of. Cheapest option to replace it is to check the color code to find the ohm rating and solder a new one on there.
Blower motor resistors are a fairly common problem for many vehicles. I sell them all the time. I need to replace mine now actually...

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
these heater blower resistors are made of wound coils of resistance wire.

And thought he "resistors" themselves don't go bad the contact beteween the actual resistor and the cheap steel contacts corrode and they don't make proper contact.

and after that the blower motor doesn't work at all speeds.

AD

UrbanRedneckKid

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Also check the plug, the corrosion creates even more resistance, which in turn creates more amperage, which melts and burns up the contacts wires and the plug. Just did mine a month ago...

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Simple continuity check across the contacts will tell you whether the resistor is bad or not.

jagco

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Mazda
I have the same problem...

Hi guy's I'm new here. I have mazda 2000 B seriers 3.0 motor with AC my blower fan only works on high to. I went to a mazda dealer they won't $945.00 to replace the blower fan and the inside fan speed switch. But I told the dealer the fan works maybe it's not the blower fan. I lift the dealer and went on and pick up a blower fan switch, I install the switch blower fan still works on the high speed only. I look for where a resistors wire at the plug can see where it would fit in..

click up picture to make it bigger.

P1010177.JPG

Last edited:

UrbanRedneckKid

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
That's it. Put a new one it, and you should be good to go.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

jagco

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Mazda
New 1 install

I install the new 1, it work find thanks so much I save a lot of money... man the dealer wonted to replace the wiring from the inside to the compressor, AC and fan speed switch.

mazda ac.JPG

Last edited:

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Yes it's a simple repair as well as a simple troubleshoot to begin with. It's a shame the dealer can't be as honest and reasonable. It's why I have a bad neck, from all the head shaking stories like this cause me. It's also why I stay plenty busy.