•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Losing Oil

RGHELMS

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Ok I have an 89 bronco 2 automatic trans. I replaced my valve cover gaskets but I am still losing oil. I dont smell anything burning anymore after the gasket replacement but I am not sure where I am losing it. About a quart a week of loss. What are the common trouble spots for oil leaks on these models? Also I have a leak somewhere in the power steering system but I am not sure where to check for it! any help would be appreciated!!!

XTC90BII

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
Do what you can with what you have where you are
I replaced the power steering hoses on my 90 BII and my leaks went away.

Dennis

RGHELMS

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Thanks, I will have to try that. Not a bad idea regardless for hoses this old!

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
Your power steering system has nothing to do with loosing engine oil, the 2 systems aren't tied into each other.

Welcome to Ford, if its not leaking or loosing fluid there's a problem. My 88 Bronco 2 goes through about a quart of oil a week, between valve covers, and every other imaginable place you can think of, including burning some of it, it leaks oil.

Without pulling the engine and taking the whole engine apart and resealing it, the likelihood of sealing it up is pretty slim...rather non-existent, and even at that it'll start leaking again shortly after all that work is done. My 84 B2 had the engine completely torn down and every seal, gasket, etc. was replaced...yep started leaking oil again within a year...total waste of time and money trying to get one of these engines to not leak oil.

RGHELMS

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Your power steering system has nothing to do with loosing engine oil, the 2 systems aren't tied into each other.
Yeah I know they are not connected. just threw in the power steering leak as an afterthought. Good to know that I shouldn't work too hard on stopping all oil leaks though!

JerryC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Are there engine oi; spots on the ground where you park? If so what is above them? If there is no spot or spots, then it is being burnt. Tracking that down can be fun... If you are lucky it's a bad PCV valve, otherwise valve seals, bad rings, etc..

My PS box leaks at the seal where it connects to the steering column.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
Are there engine oi; spots on the ground where you park? If so what is above them? If there is no spot or spots, then it is being burnt. Tracking that down can be fun... If you are lucky it's a bad PCV valve, otherwise valve seals, bad rings, etc..

My PS box leaks at the seal where it connects to the steering column.
HAHA mine does both, burns it and leaks it all over...on the plus side, I shouldn't have to worry about any rust issues on the underside, it has a nice coating of oil on it LOL.

These engines seem to leak oil no matter what you do, just add oil and drive it till it dies...unless you have the patience and space to pull the engine and replace every gasket, seal, o-ring, rings, etc. in it every couple years, it'll be a never ending battle it seems :(.

JerryC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Truth! :) everything covered in motor oil is rust free, and the nuts come off without a problem.
I found that the "high mileage" oil shows the leaks down a lot.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
Truth! :) everything covered in motor oil is rust free, and the nuts come off without a problem.
I found that the "high mileage" oil shows the leaks down a lot.
Once you get all the grime off the fasteners so you can get a wrench or socket on them LOL.

I think I'm just using regular oil, I'll try high mileage stuff next time I get oil and see if it changes anything...probably not it just seeps out of every possible place it can LOL.