•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Low oil pressure once warm????

RonD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
It is the oil.

Oil pressure is from back pressure at the bearings.

The thicker the oil the harder it will be to squeeze out thru the bearing surfaces.

This is why 6psi is fine at idle, any psi means there is more oil than can be squeezed out at the bearings, so a back pressure builds up.

But below 3psi is when gravity comes into play as far as pushing oil up to the valve train, you start getting the ticking of lifters at around 3psi at the oil sender.

High oil pressure is bad because the oil starts to spray out at the bearings, this produces less lubrication and cooling, so higher bearing temps

Last edited:

Lil-Pony

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Vehicle
Take a Guess
Engine Size
2.8, 3.0
Well i have the same pressure while crusing 2-3k rpms as the 10w30 but know i have roughly 10psi at idel compared to less than 3 before. Engine doesn't act any different than before doesn't tick never did it before though.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
If you put a quart of lucas oil stabilizer with oil changes will help but yea a new oil filter will bump the pressure up a little also. I am gonna put some seafoam in here in the near future just before my next oil change to try and quiet the chatter but I think a long block would be the best solution.