•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

M5OD Input Shaft Replacement

belovedb2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Now that it is spring in Michigan I can get back to my 4.0L swap and installation of M5OD transmission. The one I got at the salvage yard had a dammaged input shaft. I have ordered that new shaft and seals from Southwest gear and and trying to decide weather to try and replace the input shaft myself or get a transmission shop to do it. They want $200.

In viewing the shop manual you need to remove the rear bearings. They show a special tool for removing both the output shaft locknut and the bearing. I am trying to decide if I want to do this. Are these special tools needed?

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
you just need a big socket and breaker bar.. you can lock the transmission in 1st and 3rd gear to hold the shafts from turning.

either that or a hammer and chisel will unscrew the nut carefully.

other than that its pretty easy to get in and out. you have to remove all the internals of the transmission to get the input shaft out, you might be able move the output shaft backwards and wiggle the input shaft out at an angle

belovedb2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
From the shop manual I would need a 32 mm socket which is real close to 1 1/4 inch. I have that size. Now I do not need to take the cluster shaft out but will I need to remove the rear and front bearing ov the cluster shaft?

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
From the shop manual I would need a 32 mm socket which is real close to 1 1/4 inch. I have that size. Now I do not need to take the cluster shaft out but will I need to remove the rear and front bearing ov the cluster shaft?
yes. and then pull the cluster backwards and let it drop downwards to allow clearance for the input shaft.

trail B2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
This is doable without the tools.The wrench that I borrowed was like 2 1/8 for the main shaft.I believe the 1 1/4 is for the secondary shaft.