•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

manual for automatic

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
i want to switch out my manual tranny for a auto and i got a few questions and my electric shift T-case for a manual shift t-case.

1) is there gonna be a difference in drive shaft length?

2) will the auto tranny bolt right in to the motor?

3) how hard is it to rebuild bot the tranny and t-case?

4) what's a ballpark guess of what they might cost use?

5) if I don't opt for the tranny also, will a manual t-case hookup to a manual tranny?

thanks in advance

Last edited:

lil_Blue_Ford

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
1) There shouldn't be an issue as long as you use a transmission from a similar vintage.

2) Yes, as long as the donor tranny comes from a 2.9L or 4.0L motor.

3) Not all that hard to rebuild manual stuff. Auto trans are a bit more involved.

4) You mean to swap or to rebuild? Swapping and converting to manual could be done relatively cheaply, but there's a lot of little things you're going to run into. Rebuilding a trans can get pricey (depending on if it's a manual or auto).

5) The electric T-case in these trucks is a BW 1350e. The manual is a BW 1350. The dummy cases (for 2wd BIIs) are fully machined BW 1350 t-cases just lacking all the guts. The T-cases in Explorers are BW 1354e for the electric and BW 1354 for the manual. All are totally interchangeable, the 1354's being slightly stronger but harder to come by.

If you really want an auto trans 88 eddie bauer, you can have mine an I'll take yours... lol

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
thanks for the info.

as for trading, thats fine with me...mine has been sitting for 8 months and i cant get it to start, so lets trade!

my manual tranny was replaced about 6 years and hasnt been used much, so i'll probably just keep it and get a manual t-case.

thanks again for the info

lil_Blue_Ford

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
thanks for the info.

as for trading, thats fine with me...mine has been sitting for 8 months and i cant get it to start, so lets trade!

my manual tranny was replaced about 6 years and hasnt been used much, so i'll probably just keep it and get a manual t-case.

thanks again for the info
lol, mine has been sitting for over 2 years now, haven't been able to find a decent wiring diagram so I can finish my 4.0 swap. Been waffling on whether I should junk it, try to sell it as-is, or pull the 4.0 back out, stick it in my choptop, and put the 2.9 from my choptop in the 88.

I bought the 88 because I wanted a BII and I got a good deal on it. But it wasn't what I wanted. My choptop is what I wanted when I bought my 88. But I fell in love with my 88 and couldn't bring myself to convert it to a 5-speed and chop the top, so when I found someone selling a choptop with a 5-speed and blown 2.9, I got my toy. Had to convert it to 4x4, lift it and change the motor among other things, but it was a fun learning experience.

Then I bought an 86 BII for parts. And then I bought an 89 Eddie Bauer because it was gonna be crushed and I couldn't stand to let it happen (plus I needed a working 4x4 since the choptop wasn't ready for the road yet at the time). Fixed the 89 and eventually sold it (wish I wouldn't have). And then I bought an 89 Ranger for parts... the 89 Ranger and the 86 BII are eventually to become one....

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
ok, nevermind the trade, lol. i've made a tiny bit of progess in gettin it to start since i started this post. as soon as i can get it in my garage i'll have it running and lifted in a few months. will post pics.

lil_Blue_Ford

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
ok, nevermind the trade, lol. i've made a tiny bit of progess in gettin it to start since i started this post. as soon as i can get it in my garage i'll have it running and lifted in a few months. will post pics.
Aww, c'mon, lol...