•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Manual Hub Questions

XTC90BII

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
Do what you can with what you have where you are
How many folks have manual hubs with automatic transmissions?

How many folks leave the hubs locked in while running in 2 High?

Other than lower gas milage is there any risk of damage leaving the manual hubs locked in while running in 2 high?

What advantage other than being able to reach down and put the B2 into 4 wheel drive or 4 High is there?

Are there any other concerns?

Dennis

Uncle Gump

Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Suspension Style
4wd
As a rule... I would leave my hubs unlocked until I needed 4 wheel drive. There were times when I would lock the hubs and just shift between 2 and 4 wheel drive when needed... snowy commutes... the week at deer camp... a day out wheeling with short trips down black top between trails... etc...

What locking in the hubs does is just forces the front axles... front diff... driveshaft and transfer case front output shaft to turn. I never seen much sense in forcing it to turn and causing wear when you don't need too.

My new rig with a locker up front... entirely different game. If you lock the hubs with that... you really need to be in loose stuff in 2wd to ease up the scuffing. I've never had a front locker... so I'll be learning some do's and don'ts real quick.

XTC90BII

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
Do what you can with what you have where you are
I put them back to unlocked today

Dennis

Peter Griffin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Suspension Style
4wd
My first post! I've been going bananas over on the TRS with my BII build but I've been snooping around here too...

Agreed on the hubs; don't lock them until you need them. Better mileage (probably negligible but anyway) and more importantly less wear and tear FTW!