•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Missing Clamps in Fuse Box

SpringsBII

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
What's up guys, I'm new to the site and the BII ('86), but have already benefitted tremendously from the wisdom in the forums. Here's a question I haven't seen yet -

The flashers on my new BII weren't functioning, so I checked the fuse box and found the fuse was missing. Upon closer inspection, I realized that the metal clasps that hold the fuses in place was also missing. This is the case for several of the fuse slots, and is causing electric problems throughout the vehicle. Is there a simple way to replace those clasps so I can put new fuses in and be good to go? Anyone experienced the same issue?

Thanks guys, and again, awesome site!

ab_slack

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
You referring to the fuse panel under the dash on the driver's side? I thought there was another one someplace but quick look and I didn't see it so perhaps I was confusing memory with a different vehicle/

I just took a look at mine fuse panel under the dash and there are no clasps. I don't recall ever seeing any sort of metal clasps over fuses. I've seen a metal wire clasp go over larger items like relays before but that is about it.

Since you say it is missing from some I guess there is something very distinct you are seeing.

A picture may help illustrate what you are talking about. Perhaps knock loose some memories.

SpringsBII

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Sorry for the horrible description. I'll get some photos tomorrow. The word I should have used is "Terminals". The small metal terminals that actually clamp down and hold the fuses in place look like they have been pushed out of the fuse panel. Probably fell out the back side.

Thanks for the response.

ab_slack

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
That makes more sense. I never encountered that.

I know there are some un-populated positions that don't take a fuse.

So is it the electrical contact that is bad? Or is it that the terminal pushes out the back of the fuse panel? If it is the latter you might be able to hold in place or use some hot glue to fix the connection there so you can plug in the fuse. Just be careful not to get glue on the electrical contact.

An electrical connection you might be able to force the contact closed to provide a tighter fit, but that usually doesn't work well long term. Usually contact not getting tight happens because the contact lost its spring qualities. That happens due to heat which often starts with a corroded contact. At that point you need to replace the connector contact. Exactly how to do that in the fuse panel I am not sure.

SpringsBII

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Here's a good photo that shows the situation. The Slot circled in blue is a good slot that's having no problems. The Slot circled in orange has no silver contacts to actually hold the fuse in place and conduct the current. Several slots (including the one for the turn signals and horn) are also missing these silver contacts. My hope is that I can somehow get a new contact in there and solve it altogether without replacing the whole fuse box.

Last edited:

ab_slack

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
The pic doesn't show here.

A new question. If slot has no contacts, where are the wires that would be connected to those contacts?

SpringsBII

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Turns out I had the wrong diagram for the fuse panel. It was in fact an unpopulated slot. Replaced all the fuses with the correct amperage, and solved all the electrical problems on the vehicle. Sweet!

Thanks for your help.

ab_slack

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Great!

I now see the pic. Now that I see it I would have said it just looks like an unpopulated slot.