•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Motor Swaps

LeBronCo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987 and 1986
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
Life is more fun if you own a Ford Bronco II
Will a Mustang GT 3.7L V6 and 5spd trans fit in my B2?

tw205

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Suspension Style
4wd
Yes but it is not a bolt in. With proper fabrication you can drop a 460 in there.

LeBronCo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987 and 1986
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
I spoke with a tech at Advance Adaptors about the swap. They make an adaptor for the 3.7 to the existing B2 tranny but not one for the 3.7 tranny to the transfer case. I read the problem there is the existing B2 trans may not handle the HP of the 3.7. I'm not a hotrodder. I was looking for a few extra ponies and better gas mileage. A friend has a 3.7 and claims to get a realistic 25-26 mpg. What other options are there besides the popular 4.0 swap. I don't think the 4.0 gets any better gas mileage than a 2.9.

Uncle Gump

Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Suspension Style
4wd
I would love to do a TDI... costs add up quickly. I think you could get more power then you need and up the mpg's significantly. Not to mention (at least for me) the cool factor.

tw205

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Suspension Style
4wd
I like the TDI idea. There is an old ranger up the road with a Perkins diesel that a fella could pick up. Wonder if I could fab a turbo on it🤔

tw205

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Suspension Style
4wd
I spoke with a tech at Advance Adaptors about the swap. They make an adaptor for the 3.7 to the existing B2 tranny but not one for the 3.7 tranny to the transfer case. I read the problem there is the existing B2 trans may not handle the HP of the 3.7. I'm not a hotrodder. I was looking for a few extra ponies and better gas mileage. A friend has a 3.7 and claims to get a realistic 25-26 mpg. What other options are there besides the popular 4.0 swap. I don't think the 4.0 gets any better gas mileage than a 2.9.
I never got any better than 20 out of my 2.9. Bigger tires, a heavy front bumper and grill guard, and 4:10 gears and I’m down to 15.
The BII is a bit of a brick so pushing it through the atmosphere is gonna take more energy than say a Mustang. I’m not sure if there is much difference in weight but I doubt it. If the mileage margin is worth it I say giddy up. Send lots of pictures.
Was the adapter at advance for the A4LD or the manual trans? The A4LD has a bad rep for weakness even with the 2.9. LD stands for light duty.

LeBronCo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987 and 1986
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
I never got any better than 20 out of my 2.9. Bigger tires, a heavy front bumper and grill guard, and 4:10 gears and I’m down to 15.
The BII is a bit of a brick so pushing it through the atmosphere is gonna take more energy than say a Mustang. I’m not sure if there is much difference in weight but I doubt it. If the mileage margin is worth it I say giddy up. Send lots of pictures.
Was the adapter at advance for the A4LD or the manual trans? The A4LD has a bad rep for weakness even with the 2.9. LD stands for light duty.
The adaptor is for the manual. The Mustang GT 3.7 claims 305HP and 30MPG. As I stated in a previous post my friend gets 25-26MPG with an auto trans. Ideally it would be nice if Advance made an adaptor for the 3.7L manual trans. Then I'm looking at mounts, exhaust and drive shafts.