•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

moving TTB forward?

spdcrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
mostly 86
Vehicle
B2
Engine Size
2.9 bored and cammed
i was thinking of moving my TTB forward some when i finish building my 35/44.

looks like the easiest way would be to have another engine craddle and put it in front of the stock craddle. then drill the passenger frame rail for the drop bracket. only thing else i can see that one would need to deal with is steering, driveshaft, and radius arms. driveshaft and radius arms are easy, steering might be a bit more touchy...

what ya think guys?

86 slo-vo

02/2011 OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
you can move it an inch forward without doing all that....but id say it isnt worth the trouble because basically everything up front would have to move

spdcrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
mostly 86
Vehicle
B2
Engine Size
2.9 bored and cammed
you can move it an inch forward without doing all that....but id say it isnt worth the trouble because basically everything up front would have to move
what ya mean everything?

86 slo-vo

02/2011 OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
crossmember, buckets, radius arm mounts and propably the steering box...then moving the motor mounts back and extending the steering

how much are you wanting to move it and why?

wahlstrom1

J-man HD Mech
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just shim the radius arms ahead, gain a lil tire clearance that way. Anymore then that you'll need to modify the arms or crossmember and it's not really worth the effort to move the pivots and such.

spdcrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
mostly 86
Vehicle
B2
Engine Size
2.9 bored and cammed
radius arms shouldn't be a problem.

if i leave the stock crossmember in place, for the motor mounts, and add a second crossmember from another RBV then install it between the frame rails in front of the stock crossmember. all i would need to do is the associated stuff like has been mentioned

coil bucks (which i need to rebuild anyways)
radius arms (which i need to build)
steering, which i want to do a full cross over setup anyways.

is there anything else that could complicate it?

my motivation is to have a stretched wheelbase, but keep the TTB. I like doing things different, and having a better approach angle. just a little pet project im thinking about

86 slo-vo

02/2011 OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
as i said before use your radius arms to push the front an inch forward and then stretch the back. its your rig but just seems like a lot of wasted effort for not much gain

kevinsranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
as i said before use your radius arms to push the front an inch forward and then stretch the back. its your rig but just seems like a lot of wasted effort for not much gain
will shimming the radius arm an inch effect caster? and without moving the coil bucket won't the spring be slanted forward?

if no to any of those, i would be interested in this route as well!! what would you guys use to shim the arms?

mhughes165

Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
will shimming the radius arm an inch effect caster? and without moving the coil bucket won't the spring be slanted forward?

if no to any of those, i would be interested in this route as well!! what would you guys use to shim the arms?
hmm, ive never heard of anyone "shimming" a radius arm before, new one by me lol

kevinsranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
hmm, ive never heard of anyone "shimming" a radius arm before, new one by me lol
i know they make those "caster correction" bushing kits that come with shims to fix the factory caster, but i don't buy that crap, i just got the plain bushings. i just can't see how shimming them forward more won't affect the spring, and drag link and caster. not to mention i dont think i have an inch of thread on the back or my arm

mhughes165

Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
i know they make those "caster correction" bushing kits that come with shims to fix the factory caster, but i don't buy that crap, i just got the plain bushings. i just can't see how shimming them forward more won't affect the spring, and drag link and caster. not to mention i dont think i have an inch of thread on the back or my arm
idk, it just seems like a bad idea to me

gwaii

2010 OTOTY Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
i was thinking of moving my TTB forward some when i finish building my 35/44.

looks like the easiest way would be to have another engine craddle and put it in front of the stock craddle. then drill the passenger frame rail for the drop bracket. only thing else i can see that one would need to deal with is steering, driveshaft, and radius arms. driveshaft and radius arms are easy, steering might be a bit more touchy...

what ya think guys?
i wouldn't use an engine crossmember just because it's too bulky.i'd make a tubular crossmember to attach the pivots,move the radius arm brackets back to the flat part of the frame ahead of the trans crossmember,and build radius arms to suit.the steering box would need to be moved ahead,this really isn't difficult to do,i've actually detailed how to do it elsewhere in this forum.spring buckets and shock mounts are a non-issue if you can do the rest of it.

this should give you 4 1/2-7'' that you can move the axle forward.i moved mine 6 1/2''.

86 slo-vo

02/2011 OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
my front is pushed an inch foreward with my james duff arms

spdcrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
mostly 86
Vehicle
B2
Engine Size
2.9 bored and cammed
i wouldn't use an engine crossmember just because it's too bulky.i'd make a tubular crossmember to attach the pivots,move the radius arm brackets back to the flat part of the frame ahead of the trans crossmember,and build radius arms to suit.the steering box would need to be moved ahead,this really isn't difficult to do,i've actually detailed how to do it elsewhere in this forum.spring buckets and shock mounts are a non-issue if you can do the rest of it.

this should give you 4 1/2-7'' that you can move the axle forward.i moved mine 6 1/2''.
see i really thought of this aswell. just gotta take measurements on placement of pivot points i guess. i'll look for your TTB info in one of your threads.

86 slo-vo said:
sometimes its not exactly the gain, but the project, and fun that comes from doing something different.

gwaii

2010 OTOTY Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
see i really thought of this aswell. just gotta take measurements on placement of pivot points i guess. i'll look for your TTB info in one of your threads.
how far ahead were you figuring on moving it?any more than 2'' will require the sort of mods we've been talking about.in my case,i was looking to get enough room to stuff 40'' tires.there's always a reason for doing something and a way to do it.

i don't think there's a lot of detail in my threads about moving the front diff forward,though moving the steering box was covered on another thread in either this section or the steering section recently.

if there's anything i can help with,let me know.i'll give as much info as i can on an open forum-pm me with the thread if i don't reply to the thread right away....i have a hard time keeping track of everything i should be.

edit...i found where i was discussing moving the steering box: http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94876

Last edited:

spdcrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
mostly 86
Vehicle
B2
Engine Size
2.9 bored and cammed
how far ahead were you figuring on moving it?any more than 2'' will require the sort of mods we've been talking about.in my case,i was looking to get enough room to stuff 40'' tires.there's always a reason for doing something and a way to do it.

i don't think there's a lot of detail in my threads about moving the front diff forward,though moving the steering box was covered on another thread in either this section or the steering section recently.

if there's anything i can help with,let me know.i'll give as much info as i can on an open forum-pm me with the thread if i don't reply to the thread right away....i have a hard time keeping track of everything i should be.

edit...i found where i was discussing moving the steering box: http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94876
thanks. i have no idea if i will actually do it, i'm trying to put the b2 on the back burner and focus my money on my 300zx right now. but with 35's and my current setup. i think i'll be doing this front end sooner rather than later.

my goal is 37's. and pushing the front end forward say 4in would help out alot! and if i can push it forward 6in, i would have a wheelbase off 100! the coils/radius/driveshaft isn't a worry to me. just the steering. so if you have that already figured out, sounds like a fun project. I figure if i'm already there and replacing the beams, it wont be that much more work to strip it the rest of the way, and push things around a bit!