•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

My 88 Bronco 2 is getting a new heart

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
About 3 months ago things seemed to go from bad to worse, the old and tired 2.9L V6 in my Bronco 2 went from being somewhat driveable to questionable if I'd make it back home before it decided to start throwing parts out the side of the block. So I parked it and started driving my other vehicle full time. August 14th, my mom passed away so things have been extremely chaotic for a while, and have somewhat settled down enough that I finally got a shop that is competent enough that I can trust to replace the engine...no it isn't cheap...if anyone is wondering its about $4,000 to have this done...add another $1,000 if you live in a city where labor is $100+ an hour.

So, anyhow, the Bronco 2 made it to the shop on its own power, drove great going up there, the guy jumped in it to go park it around back in their lot and it started blowing smoke pretty bad again. It always seems the front cylinder on the driver's side is where my problem is that must be just dumping oil into the cylinder as its the one that I've been having to replace the spark plug in really frequently. Last time is why I stopped driving it. Usually I'd find the plug just packed with carbon, on the last replacement it was quite oily, and rather than carbon I found metal filings :shok:...so it got parked at that point.

Sorry for the long story, I'll try to update when I get more information. They're saying about 10 hours of labor which seems low? It would take me a whole day to just pull the engine LOL.

I seem to be a bit more happy and a little more relaxed seeing my Bronco 2 getting a new engine really soon. Probably in a week or 2 depending on how busy the shop is. Can't recall the company the engine is coming from but it is a long block, and I am really hoping they don't run into any problems but of course I'm sure they will. Just happy that its getting an engine and I'll be able to drive it wherever I want. Transmission is holding up really well, I hope the engine replacement does as well, I enjoy driving the Bronco 2 and I'm sure my mom would love to see it running like new as well, unfortunately she's gone way too soon :bawling:, but in a better place and no longer suffering.

XTC90BII

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
Do what you can with what you have where you are
wildbill23c

Sorry for your loss. My Mother died the day before my 41th birthday in 1991.

Dennis

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
Thank you Dennis. I'm sure my mom would have loved to see my Bronco 2 back in operation, so that's what I am doing my best to get done, unfortunately I do not have the patience and attention span to do that type of work, I can do simple routine stuff but even fan belts anymore just piss me off trying to get them on pulleys and to stay in place while cranking down the tensioners, and those types of things. I'm not sure how mechanics do that stuff all day every day without pulling out their hair and throwing things.