•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

My 89' Bronco II... slightly modified...

BIIHawg

December OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
So here's my ride...

1989 Bronco II
-Narrowed Dana 44 front with Detroit Tru-trac and 5.13 gears
-Ford 9inch rear with Detroit Locker and 513 gears
-James Duff long travel arms
-Rubicon Express 8" coils
-Custom fabbed coil towers, panhard bar and mount, and
trannycrossmember/radius arm mount/skid plate
-Grabber Green Rhino liner paint job
-38.5x15x15 Bias Ground Hawgs

Full build up is available at this site...

http://www.offroad.bc.ca/Forums/viewtopic.php?t=476

Also can be viewed here...

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/704852/1

And Here's a couple shots of it in action

** Just thought I'd add this... I was hopin to get nominated for TOTM... so any help would be greatly appreciated... Thanks***

Last edited:

PaleBlue90

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
2.3,2.9 and 4.0
awesome b2, that mudd shot is gnarly

compleckz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
WOAH.. flexy huh?
time for some fender chopping? :)

the RE coils, what are they for, XJ, ZJ?

any pics of the coil tower?

oh and sick rig!

BlackBII

Cheaf of Grammor Poleace
Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
That thing is sickalicious!

Sunk

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Man that mud shot would have been great for the calendar!

BIIHawg

December OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Ya the tires do stuff a long ways. The fenders have self clearenced themselves to say the least, but they will get chopped this winter during the down time.

Here's a shot of the coil tower. We just took the stock bronco II one, cut off the shock mount and added a pin for the coil to ride on...

As for the coils... they are for a 2000-2002 Jeep Rubicon if I recall correctly

compleckz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
coil tower looks nice, is it in the stock location? also whats the deal with the steering box? looks relocated/angled?

so when either side droops completely, how far down that center pin is the coil (its not connected at the top, right?) any pics of that? just curious to see. :headbang:

BIIHawg

December OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
The coil towers are bolted in the stock location.

In that shot the steering box isn't bolted in. We used the bolts that hold the steering box on to attach the panhard bar mount.

When one side droops the coil falls all the way to the bottom of the pin. No it is not connected at the top. The only reason it doesn't go any further is because the shocks completely bottom out.

If I can find longer shocks at an affordible price, I plan on attaching a limiting strap that will allow the coil to droop roughly that far then once it reaches the end of the limiting strap the coil will be allowed to stretch to allow for more flex without having the coil pop off the pin.

organic

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
BIIHawg Just wondering, The ford emblem on the grill, what vehicle did that come from? Awesome truck!

BIIHawg

December OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
i snagged that badge off an old Ford LTL 9000 Dump truck. I think it was one of the first "mods" I made. I just thought it looked a little better than the blue oval...

compleckz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
nice work man, looks sicker each time i come back to the thread.

Dishtowel

August OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
Dude, you have a wicked awesome truck, very noice. I especially like the 'fall away' coils, or whatever those are called. I was thinking about rigging some up for my D35, and after seeing yours in action I defiantly am!

I notice your in P.G., I'm always looking for cool places in northern Alberta/BC to wheel.

compleckz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
I especially like the 'fall away' coils, or whatever those are called. I was thinking about rigging some up for my D35, and after seeing yours in action I defiantly am!
im pretty sure ttb needs the coil attached since there isn't the same leveraging as on a solid axle.. someone smarter will likely chime in.

BIIHawg

December OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Ya... I'll agree with compleckz on this one. I know you can get more flex out of TTB by using jeep coils but i don't know that you can make them fall away like jeeps. I mean I'm no expert either but I've never heard of anyone else doing it. You would have to have extended radius arms, the shaft for the coil to ride on. And I think since the two sides of the suspension are not attached, when the coil went to "fall away" the entire one side of the suspension would crash down fast instead of smoothly like a solid axle in which the two sides are attached and as one side goes down the other side cantelevers it thus making a smooth flex. But let me know how it works out if you do do it. It would be a cool new mod for all those TTB guys out there.

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
The radious arms will hold the TTB arm in place, but there is nothing to get the coil to go back in it's correct place. I wouldn't recommend it on a TTB suspension. It would fold itself into a V if you ever got into the right situation.

Dishtowel

August OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
I found someone on CarDomain who had done it is what got my brain-A-tickin'

I already built longer radius arms, back to just infront of the trans member.
The shock would act like a limiting strap to prevent the whole axle assembly from falling out from under the truck. And I could always rig a nylon/whatever limiting strap that would stop the axle once the top of the coil was threatening to leave the 'fall away coil retainer' (the tube part coming down from the coil bucket) I dont really know what the real name for those are, thats why all the " s.

This 'fall away retainer' would have to be approx 6" long and have to be *just* smaller than the inside of the coil when it meets the coil bucket, to insure the coil is seated in the correct place once your done flexing.

Thank you guys for you input, the more brains that get to think on an idea the better! I appreciate it. This may not be recommended, but I'm still interested. I will probably do it once I'm done with the 5.0L

Dishtowel

August OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
Found the dude on CarDomain with the fall away coils and TTB.
There is a pic of him and one front tire is way off the ground. The coil does not appear to be falling away.
I'm assuming either he has rigged some sort of limiting device, or the shock is limiting the droop, OR, TTB geometry just doesn't capitalize on the coils ability to fall away.
Once I get around to it, I still think I'm going to try it, I'll be sure to share once it's done/tested, successful or not.
Anywho, I feel like I'm :offtopic: sooooo.

I love the truck BIIHawg, what are the next 3 things on the 'to do' list?