•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

my Bronco

bulldawg1081

Reaction score
tulia,texas between amarillo and lubbock for those
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
I figured I'd post a picture of my little Bronco,I actually just traded an old dirt bike straight across for it, its in surprisingly good shape however it was very poorly maintenanced, the oil was the dirtiest I've ever seen, the radius arm bushings were non existent and a few other odds and ends. Its got cold air the cruise works well the interior is clean and in good shape and the body has zero rust, I've since fixed all the problems and now I'm ready to play with it,I want it stock looking with a small lift and 31 inch tires with 8 inch rims,I'd like to repaint it the original color or just solid maroon and go with a billet grille. I want it more or less to look new, no chopping or hacking or making some kind of river buggy out of it like most people I've seen do with theirs(it's bad around this area with the river), you don't see many of these anymore.

Attachments

Last edited:

alwaysFlOoReD

Blang - not bling
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '93, '98
Vehicle
Various
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0, 4.6
Suspension Style
4wd
Sounds interesting, but I don't see any pics.

Richard

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
Nice trade. I really like my bronco 2 even though mine isn't anywhere near that good of shape.

bulldawg1081

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
It just takes time and patience, depending on what you're wanting to do with yours I bet you make a transformation on yours really easily depending on the parts availability whet you live...I run across all kinds of parts all the time especially sheet metal,I might could help you find something

bulldawg1081

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
Has anyone ever saw any rims like I have on this thing?I think they are ugly as all get out but I don't know if they are factory or not, they have the bolt holes for the center caps but I've never seen rims like these before

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
I see them occasionally but they're not very common, those actually look like they're 14 inch wheels. Your B2 is 4WD so the 14" wheels on it should actually be 15". Wonder who changed those out. At least your wheels match LOL, mine are all mismatched and the tires are crap, course my largest issue other than tires is getting the rear main seal replaced, and tackling all the rust problems.

As for the tires the 31's will fit with some slight rubbing if I remember correctly without adding a mild lift.

B2 Addict

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Looks like a good score, especially w/cold air!! Good luck with the resto and keep us updated... By the way, those wheels look like the ones that were stock on my '84 Ranger 2wd.

:icon_cheers:
B2

Last edited:

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
Looks like a good score, especially w/cold air!! Good luck with the resto and keep us updated... By the way, those wheels look like the ones that were stock on my '84 Ranger 2wd.

:icon_cheers:
B2
Kind of reminds me of the ones on mine as well. Those are definitely not the correct size wheels for the 4WD models that's for sure. Wonder how far off the speedometer is with those smaller wheels.

bulldawg1081

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
They are 15 inch rims I just put 2 new tires of the rear this weekend just to get by until I put 31's on it, they are 215/75/15's...do you think it would sit level if I put explorer leaf springs on the back and f150 coils on the front? It would be nice to lift it 2 or 3 inches without having to spend a ton of money

Lil-Pony

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Vehicle
Take a Guess
Engine Size
2.8, 3.0
New tires on the front always. Also those are stock spare rims. Had the same rim on the back of mine till i got rid of the swing arm, broke to many hatches

Spede Demn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'85
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L
Nice lookin B2,

31s will rub on the forward edge of the front fender when you turn, and they also require regearing, I put on stock 15x7 Ranger rims(deerfoot) with the original 31s but took them off after a week, truck was guttless at highway speeds, I put 235/75/15s on the same ranger rims and I like these, still noticablly less torque than the oem 215s at highway speeds but not too bad. I still needed 1/4" spacer plates behind the rims or wheel weights didnt clear the tie rod ends.

Attachments

bulldawg1081

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
You got a sharp looking little Bronco,I like the front clip on the older ones like yours better than mine but I guess we can't have it all right? As for the rubbing I wonder with after market rims with some offset if that would fix some of the rubbing? Because factory rims suck the tires in too far

Spede Demn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'85
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L
I doubt wider offset rims will help, it would only change the spot where the tire rubs, a lift would help on level ground but it would still be able to rub off road unless you cut the fenders out. Plus I didnt like how it drove with 31s, it tended to wander a bit in between the ruts of the highway, but with the 235s it tracks nice and straight. 31s will also put more stress on the steering linkage so that would need to be beefed up, and then the gears, even tho my motor is good and strong it really was lacking torque above 50mph, no power to pass anything.

I tried it, didnt like it, and dont care to spend the money I think is needed to make the 31s work, if your gonna do the work then do it first, then put the 31s on, but IMO... 31s simply do not work well on a stock B2. 235s work quite well tho, I live on a farm and drive in fields or pastures often, I hunt with it, and I drive 30k highway to work daily, it works well enough for what I need.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
BIGGER
for a cost effective upgrade i would run a 150 setup....some well worn 150 springs with 150 arms and relocated stock radius arm brackets with adjustable bushings. a long add a leaf and shackles out back with over axle traction chains.

when money allows bolt in a d35.

would be pretty good like that and likely under 300 bux to do it all yourself with junkyard parts and some trips to the hardware store.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
BIGGER
Nice lookin B2,

31s will rub on the forward edge of the front fender when you turn, and they also require regearing, I put on stock 15x7 Ranger rims(deerfoot) with the original 31s but took them off after a week, truck was guttless at highway speeds, I put 235/75/15s on the same ranger rims and I like these, still noticablly less torque than the oem 215s at highway speeds but not too bad. I still needed 1/4" spacer plates behind the rims or wheel weights didnt clear the tie rod ends.
I doubt wider offset rims will help, it would only change the spot where the tire rubs, a lift would help on level ground but it would still be able to rub off road unless you cut the fenders out. Plus I didnt like how it drove with 31s, it tended to wander a bit in between the ruts of the highway, but with the 235s it tracks nice and straight. 31s will also put more stress on the steering linkage so that would need to be beefed up, and then the gears, even tho my motor is good and strong it really was lacking torque above 50mph, no power to pass anything.

I tried it, didnt like it, and dont care to spend the money I think is needed to make the 31s work, if your gonna do the work then do it first, then put the 31s on, but IMO... 31s simply do not work well on a stock B2. 235s work quite well tho, I live on a farm and drive in fields or pastures often, I hunt with it, and I drive 30k highway to work daily, it works well enough for what I need.

with a 2.8 and shitty gears i can see this opinion.

a ok running 2.9 with a manual trans and with 373 gears in a b2 will bitchslap 31's no problem.....if you swapped in a set of stock 410 gears or had 410 gears you would need 31's to haul ass on the freeway more comfortably.

with an auto the 31 in tire would be stressful with 373 gear but fine with 410.

345 gears enter a problem area with the auto but tolerable with a stick.

a great running 2.9 does fine regardless. a 4.0 will seem like a monster.

94xlt4.0

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
4.0, 2.9, 4.0
my 90 b2 is a 2.9 auto with the 3.73's and does just fine. its a little slow off the line but its not meant to be a race car. once i get above 10-15 miles an hour you cant tell what tires are on there. as for the rubbing i had 31's before i lifted the front with spacers and had NO rubbing at all. turned lock to lock with room to spare. offroading would have changed that though which is why i put the coil spacers in. now i have no issues at all

Spede Demn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'85
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L
Well aren't you an ignorant MF, don't like my opinion? Too fkn bad Troll, the fact is that 31s will rub unless the fenders are cut or a high lift is put in, and the OP said he didn't want to modify his truck alot, or perhaps you missed that part?

....but then at 15000+ posts I guess you can't be expected to read everything.

My opinion is based on owning and actually driving a near stock B2 for over 5 years, it spends more time off road than on, it pushes a 7' snow plow, the tires dont rub and it doesnt break parts. Luv to sit on the pc all day and agrue(like some ppl), but I have to go check on the cattle in a mud filled pasture, gee I hope my 2.8 and shitty gears will make it.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
BIGGER
Well aren't you an ignorant MF, don't like my opinion? Too fkn bad Troll, the fact is that 31s will rub unless the fenders are cut or a high lift is put in, and the OP said he didn't want to modify his truck alot, or perhaps you missed that part?

....but then at 15000+ posts I guess you can't be expected to read everything.

My opinion is based on owning and actually driving a near stock B2 for over 5 years, it spends more time off road than on, it pushes a 7' snow plow, the tires dont rub and it doesnt break parts. Luv to sit on the pc all day and agrue(like some ppl), but I have to go check on the cattle in a mud filled pasture, gee I hope my 2.8 and shitty gears will make it.

woah!!!!!!!! hold on there big fellar......i was certainly not trying to offend you in any way.

maybe you missed this quote?

for a cost effective upgrade i would run a 150 setup....some well worn 150 springs with 150 arms and relocated stock radius arm brackets with adjustable bushings. a long add a leaf and shackles out back with over axle traction chains.

when money allows bolt in a d35.

would be pretty good like that and likely under 300 bux to do it all yourself with junkyard parts and some trips to the hardware store.

with the setup listed the op has an extremely cost effective upgrade to allow 31 in tires if he so wanted. likely under a 100 bux, i can do that here for 120 or so most times of the year.

i have owned a few b2's myself.

and am quite happy for one that sees mostly road miles to run 235 tires....the b2 in stock form more then rivals a wrangler....for the specific build periods from 84-90 it whoops a wranglers ass. bone stock....215 to 235 tires.

a ok running 2.9 with a manual trans and with 373 gears in a b2 will bitchslap 31's no problem.....if you swapped in a set of stock 410 gears or had 410 gears you would need 31's to haul ass on the freeway more comfortably.

with an auto the 31 in tire would be stressful with 373 gear but fine with 410.

345 gears enter a problem area with the auto but tolerable with a stick.

a great running 2.9 does fine regardless. a 4.0 will seem like a monster.

all i was doing was validating your opinion. you had 345 gears and a 2.8.....he, does not.

two totally different perspectives will come of this running any tires or lift combos just based on the gears and actual engine and trans combo.

if you did all you listed with the op truck instead of what you have listed...which i assumed is the truck you were speaking to so i may be wrong there...your opinion would not have been the same in my experience.

and for what its worth....i go months sometimes nearly a year between posts sessions as work allows.

taking my validation as an insult is understandable to a degree....but i think you went off the ranch a little far if it were in fact meant as an insult.

i travel all over this country to help fellow rbv people, whether making harnesses for military members or doing full powertrain swaps and builds. so it is not my intent to kick you in the balls.:dunno:

and i sure as fawk know how to work for a living:thefinger: