•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

My first Bronco II, 1990

Jeff_Birt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Picked up my first Bronco II today, a 1990. Purchased from the original owner. It has an incredible 313,000 miles on the clock. He had the engine gone through about 150K due to some sort of head issue.

It has a bit of rust in the typical places. Headliner is a bit loose. Runs like a top. Drive it 130 miles home with zero issues. The only thing I can find that does not work is the right turn signal indicator on the dash. Brakes are good, clutch needs replacing and it is slightly loose in the front end. The owner was beyond meticulous with maintenance and record keeping.

I came home with records and receipts for everything that has ever been done to it. Original window sticker. Factory service manual, wiring diagrams, and a Ford code scanner (EEC-V4?) It is dark here, so pics are a few of the 40 his son in law sent me. The original owner is putting the money from the sale into a side by side and his 68 Bronco (he also bought it new.)

Attachments

tw205

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Suspension Style
4wd
Nice score. Did you get lucky and get the Dana 35 front axle? Late 90 models got the upgrade. 10 bolts on the front differential is the 35. Big upgrade from the dana28.

Jeff_Birt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Nice score. Did you get lucky and get the Dana 35 front axle? Late 90 models got the upgrade. 10 bolts on the front differential is the 35. Big upgrade from the dana28.
Looking at the title it was registered February 1990 so I would have guessed no. Freezing rain today, work closed, good thing I about busted my a$$ multiple times in the 50' out to the truck, so had to go shut truck off which I had started to melt the ice off. Managed to ease up driveway to the BII and took a look at the diff, 10 bolts. Counted three times to be sure.

Sorted out all the receipts last night. Found the ones for the engine work at 165K. He replaced both heads with new ones, new crank, cam and matching bearings. All new lifters. All new gaskets, etc. Pistons and rings look like they were not touched. I hope I have a chance later to talk to original owner to see why the crank/cam were replaced. I had thought they were using the new/better heads by 1990. Him having both replaced makes me wonder.

XTC90BII

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
Do what you can with what you have where you are
Jeff is it a XLT? If so did the factory window show AC?

Dennis

tw205

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Suspension Style
4wd
Looking at the title it was registered February 1990 so I would have guessed no. Freezing rain today, work closed, good thing I about busted my a$$ multiple times in the 50' out to the truck, so had to go shut truck off which I had started to melt the ice off. Managed to ease up driveway to the BII and took a look at the diff, 10 bolts. Counted three times to be sure.

Sorted out all the receipts last night. Found the ones for the engine work at 165K. He replaced both heads with new ones, new crank, cam and matching bearings. All new lifters. All new gaskets, etc. Pistons and rings look like they were not touched. I hope I have a chance later to talk to original owner to see why the crank/cam were replaced. I had thought they were using the new/better heads by 1990. Him having both replaced makes me wonder.
I bought a thrashed 90 BII just for the Dana35 it had. Ended up having a bent left beam. 🤬.

XTC90BII

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
Do what you can with what you have where you are
Thanks Jeff. Mine is the same just not 2 tone. Just put in a new radiator but had to get the one that showed Automatic w/o AC in order to get the right one. Strange. I have 149,583 on the clock. Also got mine from the original owners back in Aug 2015 with 103,xxx on the clock. I am Auto with manual hubs.

Dennis