•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

need a little advice about rear driveshaft.

Harley

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Suspension Style
4wd
hi guys, i finally found a bronco II and towed it home a few days ago. its an 86 eddie bauer. its been sitting a while and and the driveshaft was in the back when i got it. got it running and went to bolt in the driveshaft and it was too short?? being unfamiliar with that type of shaft, i thought it was also springloaded pulling it apart too....bad guess...pulled the joint out on one side....im a little confused..from what ive read, the shaft has a max length of 33 inches. mine is 34 not fully extended?? :icon_confused: it doesnt look like its lifted but maybe it is and im thinking thats how it is stock? do any of you guys know your stock length or the length needed when lifted a little?

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
Maybe you have a spare front drive shaft, possibly someone swapped out the transmission at some point so the drive shaft is not the correct one, who knows. Post a picture of it if you can maybe someone on here knows exactly what's wrong.

Harley

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Suspension Style
4wd
Maybe you have a spare front drive shaft, possibly someone swapped out the transmission at some point so the drive shaft is not the correct one, who knows. Post a picture of it if you can maybe someone on here knows exactly what's wrong.
thanks wildbill....its definately the rear and looks to be the correct type and according to what ive read, i should have a stock length shaft if its stock height. does anyone have a measurement from end to end for the five speed driveshaft??

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
According to a driveshaft website it should be 30" compressed and 33" extended for a stock rear driveshaft.

Something don't sound right with your setup. Either that or your truck is lifted, different transmission. Something isn't right.

Harley

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Suspension Style
4wd
According to a driveshaft website it should be 30" compressed and 33" extended for a stock rear driveshaft.

Something don't sound right with your setup. Either that or your truck is lifted, different transmission. Something isn't right.
yep, thats the shaft i have...will look into it further tomorrow...thanks.

Harley

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Suspension Style
4wd
can anyone give me a measurement from axle center to top of fender opening???

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
I'd measure mine but the springs are shot in it so it wouldn't be very accurate.

EDIT: I measured mine at about 18". With sagging springs you may figure to add another inch or 2 to that.

Last edited:

Harley

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Suspension Style
4wd
I'd measure mine but the springs are shot in it so it wouldn't be very accurate.

EDIT: I measured mine at about 18". With sagging springs you may figure to add another inch or 2 to that.
thanks again wildbill...mine was 18 from wheel center to fender...now im really confused! from axle to transfer case is 34 inches...driveshaft was 33 inches fully extended....everything looks stock but the measurements are way off....

BabyBronco89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
95' 4.0 OHV
My 86 b2 measures 33.5 inches and its not a cv style shaft it's a u joint slip shaft

I also found this when I crawled underneath

:( looks like I need a new tease to go with my 4.0 swap

Harley

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Suspension Style
4wd
My 86 b2 measures 33.5 inches and its not a cv style shaft it's a u joint slip shaft

i just found out that my rear setup isnt stock...my axle is on top of the spring...this just keeps gettin better...

I also found this when I crawled underneath

:( looks like I need a new tease to go with my 4.0 swap
dang!! maybe you better look under there more often...yikes!

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
How long has your truck been running with the bottom of the T-case blown out? Might be time to have that serviced LOL.

BabyBronco89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
95' 4.0 OHV
That was the top lol, idk I did hear a Big Bang the other day shortly after I was Beatin on her a bit. I still have my rear axle :D

BabyBronco89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
95' 4.0 OHV
My b2 isn't modified either and I think it depends on the trans you have , iirc one trans is a couple inches longer then the other in the early yrs,
my truck was made 10/85 even tho its a 86 I have to get parts for a 85 like the larger brake calipers and different size front brake pads, lots of subtle changes happened in that range of dates so not every 86 has the same brakes or driveshafts
IMO the cv drive shafts are garbage, find one at a pick a part junk yard with ujoints and a slip shaft like mine, I blew up three cv shafts in less then a yr with my 89 and I finally had a shop make me one just like this one and never had a problem again

Harley

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Suspension Style
4wd
My b2 isn't modified either and I think it depends on the trans you have , iirc one trans is a couple inches longer then the other in the early yrs,
my truck was made 10/85 even tho its a 86 I have to get parts for a 85 like the larger brake calipers and different size front brake pads, lots of subtle changes happened in that range of dates so not every 86 has the same brakes or driveshafts
IMO the cv drive shafts are garbage, find one at a pick a part junk yard with ujoints and a slip shaft like mine, I blew up three cv shafts in less then a yr with my 89 and I finally had a shop make me one just like this one and never had a problem again
maybe thats what is going on...i think ill hit the junk yards for an explorer driveshaft and then have it cut to fit...thanks for the info!