•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Need help my 87 B2 spits out gas when I remove gas cap.

89Bronco2Micheal

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Gas tank has a lot of air pressure and spits out gas all over my hand whenever I remove gas cap after driving a few miles. I put in 4 cans of Berrymans B12 chemtool in two months after that is when I noticed gas spitting out. Do I need a new gas vapor cannistor? Gas cap is still new only 6 months old. Fuel pumps are good, B2 starts 1st time and idles and runs good.

Uncle Gump

Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Suspension Style
4wd
There is a vent valve on top of the tank... I would consider it suspect. The valve and grommet are available... I just bought them to replace existing when I drop the tank.

tw205

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Suspension Style
4wd
The tank vent runs to the charcoal canister. If you take the line off the canister you should be able to blow air into the tank and the air should come back out when you stop. If not you have a blockage in the line or the check valve in the vent is stuck closed.

89Bronco2Micheal

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
The tank vent runs to the charcoal canister. If you take the line off the canister you should be able to blow air into the tank and the air should come back out when you stop. If not you have a blockage in the line or the check valve in the vent is stuck closed.
I noticed the line connected to the charcoal canister was not connected just a 4 inch long rubber hose in between the line must have came lose when I was off road. I re connected the vent line and that fixed that problem. Thank you for your help.