•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

need help truck wont start

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
been running good for few years christmes eve i took it out drove it about 1/4 mile it died

found a bad ing coil and hole in gas line fixed them

still wouldnt start

so i replaced disturber cap rotor spark plugs wires etc i got good spark and gas still wont start

any ideas?

1984 bronco ii 2.8

Bronco_Chuck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
84, 86 & 89
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 & 2.9
well if you have spark and fuel you may have messed up the fireing order.

bronco_lou

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
94 explorer 4.0
Does it have a Cat on it and if so is it plugged?

twoll86

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
fuel firing and timing all you need just make sure its geting all that and if it has a cat gut it

Bronco_Chuck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
84, 86 & 89
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 & 2.9
cat is short for catilitic converter, its and exhaust gas emissions component. if you look under the truck it would be the first larger chamber before the muffler in the exhaust system. but honestly i dont think it would cause the engine to not start. unless you had a massive lack of power before that. also if you have emissions testing removing or hollowing out the cat will cause you to fail. not to mention its agenst the law. first thing i would do is make sure that you have fuel, (remove the air cleaner and look down the carb then open the throttle plates to make sure you can see fuel squirting down the intake. next check for spark, if you have both make sure the timing is correct.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
cat is short for catilitic converter, its and exhaust gas emissions component. if you look under the truck it would be the first larger chamber before the muffler in the exhaust system. but honestly i dont think it would cause the engine to not start. unless you had a massive lack of power before that. also if you have emissions testing removing or hollowing out the cat will cause you to fail. not to mention its agenst the law. first thing i would do is make sure that you have fuel, (remove the air cleaner and look down the carb then open the throttle plates to make sure you can see fuel squirting down the intake. next check for spark, if you have both make sure the timing is correct.
last month it was at a shop timing was right i get fuel for sure if i try startin it for awhile and it will fluid and the top of the carb will be wet with gas

im looking at a wiring diagram could it be a relay?

i have a EEC Power relay that runs to the TFI Ignition Module

Bronco_Chuck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
84, 86 & 89
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 & 2.9
if it was there would be no spark, but it would be more likly that your tfi ignition module was bad more so than the relay. but if you have spark that isnt where i would look. if you dont have spark i would check it out.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
if it was there would be no spark, but it would be more likly that your tfi ignition module was bad more so than the relay. but if you have spark that isnt where i would look. if you dont have spark i would check it out.
well I pulled the 3 plug wires on driver side and checked for spark they got it I didn't check other side cuz they should have it. could it be a sensor? cam sensor or something idk where it is ifnu think that could be it lmk where its at

Bronco_Chuck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
84, 86 & 89
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 & 2.9
no i dont belive it would be a sensor. ok so does it try to fire up when you crank it over?
and to awnser davidkfannin's question you would start by puting number 1 cyl on TDC compression stroke. once there pop the distributor cap off and see which direction the rotor is pointing. reinstal the cap and put #1 spark plug wire on the closest terminal to where the rotor is pointing. then in a clockwise ritation place the rest of the plug wires as follows: 1-4-2-5-3-6. then you will want to losen the 1/2" bolt that holds the distributor in place. start the engine and turn the distributor till the best idle is obtained.
now if you have a timeing light you will want to set the timing to about 10* before top dead center.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
no i dont belive it would be a sensor. ok so does it try to fire up when you crank it over?
and to awnser davidkfannin's question you would start by puting number 1 cyl on TDC compression stroke. once there pop the distributor cap off and see which direction the rotor is pointing. reinstal the cap and put #1 spark plug wire on the closest terminal to where the rotor is pointing. then in a clockwise ritation place the rest of the plug wires as follows: 1-4-2-5-3-6. then you will want to losen the 1/2" bolt that holds the distributor in place. start the engine and turn the distributor till the best idle is obtained.
now if you have a timeing light you will want to set the timing to about 10* before top dead center.
motor just turns over don't fire or act like it wants to start

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
ok have you checked the firing order?
I took the old cap off and marked on paper where they was turned the key over making sure rotor turned put new rotor on then new cap pluged wires in same place

lol if I gota do some diff let me kno

Bronco_Chuck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
84, 86 & 89
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 & 2.9
well honestly all i can think of is that the timing is wrong. i mean as long as you are getting spark and fuel it should fire. the only other thing would be compression.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
how would I double check wut plug is number one I don't know wut TDC compression stroke is lol and how do I check compression I got the tool just never done it

Bronco_Chuck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
84, 86 & 89
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 & 2.9
number one plug is the front passenger side plug. fastest way to find #1 TDC is pull #1 plug put your thumb over the spark plug hole and bump the engine over till you feel the compression. to test the compression you pull all the plugs thred the compression testor in and crank the engine for about 5 compression strokes ( you should be able to watch the needle and after it jumps about 5 times) that would be your compression reading. do that to all cylinders. i hope this makes sence.

twoll86

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
i agree if you have spark and fuel and you are sure timing is right it has to be compresion

copperminer2002

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
When you think you are on the compression stroke, look down at the crankshaft pully and see if the pointer is any where near the TDC Top Dead Center mark on the pully. It is pretty easy to go past the mark just by feeling it with your thumb. Turn the crankshaft pully with a 1/2 in. drive ratchet and the soket that fits the pully bolt. Adjust that so the pointer is on the TDC mark. Pull the cap on the distr. and see where the rotor is pointed. I should be pointing at or near the No. 1 plug wire fits in your cap. When all this is done, it should start if thats your problem. If it does, put it all back together and put a timeing light on it. Losen your distributor a little (just enouf to turn it with a little pressure) and set your timeing at 10 degrees BTC (before top dead center) and you should be wheelin. Good luck,,hope this helps.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
When you think you are on the compression stroke, look down at the crankshaft pully and see if the pointer is any where near the TDC Top Dead Center mark on the pully. It is pretty easy to go past the mark just by feeling it with your thumb. Turn the crankshaft pully with a 1/2 in. drive ratchet and the soket that fits the pully bolt. Adjust that so the pointer is on the TDC mark. Pull the cap on the distr. and see where the rotor is pointed. I should be pointing at or near the No. 1 plug wire fits in your cap. When all this is done, it should start if thats your problem. If it does, put it all back together and put a timeing light on it. Losen your distributor a little (just enouf to turn it with a little pressure) and set your timeing at 10 degrees BTC (before top dead center) and you should be wheelin. Good luck,,hope this helps.
turns out 2 be blown head gaskit

/edit what is the easyest motor 2 put in this truck?

Last edited: