•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Need help with firing order on 1987 B2

BroncoMike8789

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987 1989
Vehicle
Ford
The Haynes repair manual done screwed me again. I put new spark plugs in and new set of plug wires. I went by the Haynes repair manual and now the engine wont start, plugs are crossed somewhere. Anyone have a diagram of firing order or know how the plugs go on? 2.9 V6

JerryC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Look in the tech library of this (broncoiicorral) web site.

BroncoMike8789

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987 1989
Vehicle
Ford
I have the plug wires connected just like the diagram shows but somethings not rite still wont crank sounds like wires are crossed. I hope I didn't get a batch of bad sparkplugs or plug wires, I used Autolite 765 copper core plugs, and Duralast plug wire kit 4134.

Attachments

BroncoMike8789

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987 1989
Vehicle
Ford
Does the rotor button have to be pointing to No1 pole on rotor cap before starting the engine?

JerryC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
No, but if you are going just by the picture you need to be aware that number one on your vehicle may not be in the same exact location. It could off in either direction enough that you have the wires in the wrong order.

alwaysFlOoReD

Blang - not bling
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '93, '98
Vehicle
Various
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0, 4.6
Suspension Style
4wd
Bring the number one cylinder to top dead center. To do that remove the sparkplug and get someone to crank the engine with the coil disconnected. Put your finger or thumb over the hole and as soon as you feel compression air coming out stop cranking. Now move the crank so that the timing marks line up to 10 degrees before TDC. Your rotor button should be pointing at the Number one post on the distributor cap.

BroncoMike8789

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987 1989
Vehicle
Ford
Bring the number one cylinder to top dead center. To do that remove the sparkplug and get someone to crank the engine with the coil disconnected. Put your finger or thumb over the hole and as soon as you feel compression air coming out stop cranking. Now move the crank so that the timing marks line up to 10 degrees before TDC. Your rotor button should be pointing at the Number one post on the distributor cap.
Ok thanks I will do that in a few days unfortunately its raining this weekend.

BroncoMike8789

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987 1989
Vehicle
Ford
Whoever put in that distributor put it in 1 degree off, the number one pole on dist cap is in the number 4 position. Shes running now Thanks for helping me on this and take care.

JerryC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Mine is set like yours, that's why I mentioned it.
Glad you got it running.