•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Need serious help with cutch problem

dantai

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989 + 1986
Vehicle
Ford
Hey fellow Bronco lovers,

I am new to this forum and am hoping you can solve my month-long battle with my bronco ii. I write to you today in desperate need of some help with a problem I can't figure out for the life of me.

I recently bought a 1986 Bronco ii 5speed manual 4X4 with the Toyo Koygo TK5 transmission.

The O-ring in the clutch line intake port was busted so I figured I would just change the clutch, flywheel, and release bearing.

Everything came out and went in fine and I didn't seem to have to much trouble. When I fire it up and put it in gear and release the clutch you can hear a hissing (the clutch plate slipping I assume) and I am barely propelled forward. The engine would rev and sound proper but I could barely get going.

At first I thought the plate was just covered in brake fluid from popping the hose off the bleeder screw. Then I thought maybe I didn't put the throwout bearing on properly. Then I thought there was an airlock so I bled it about 10 times (vaccum, bench bleed, gravity bleed) and nothing has worked. I had a mobile mechanic come check it out and he said it is likely a defective pressure plate. I tore it out after he left and the pressure plate looks completely fine. All the forks are straight and lined up.

I have pulled that tranny out 3 times now and the onnnnnnly thing I think might still be the problem is maybe my slave cylinder is pooped. I was able to suck bubbles out of the bleeder valve when it was closed with the vaccum pump. I don't know if that's normal or not. It's $180 bucks so I don't want to spend money on it if I don't have to.

Please if you have seen this problem, or have an idea as to what I can do next to determine the issue let me know. I need this puppy running before the snow flies.

Thank you and happy Broncoing :icon_thumby:

3rd Petal

Reaction score
The friction disc has a flywheel side and a pressure plate side, you sure it's in the right way?

My vacuum pump will suck bubbles when the bleeder is shut from between the valve and the hose, just because it doesn't seal perfect. So that might not be an issue

dantai

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989 + 1986
Vehicle
Ford
Hey thanks for your reply. I had my doubts when I was taking it apart the first time that I might have screwed that up, but "flywheel side" was on the flywheel side.

efilnicufecin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Did you install a new clutch?....My guess is the "fingers" on the pressure plate may be too long, or the slave cylinder is too long.therefore holding the clutch open not allowing it to grip completely onto the clutch friction disk.
Also, do you have approximately an "inch" or so in clutch "freeplay" travel before the pressure on the clutch petal increases?