•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Need some info...

BroncoDan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
So, I currently have a 1989 Bronco II 4x4 Auto.. I just picked up a 92 Explorer 2WD Auto... I am pretty clear on what needs to be done to move the 4.0L over but what about the transmission. They are both A4LDs but it's my understanding that I'm better off using the Explorer tranny with the 4.0L. Will my t-case just bolt right up to the Explorer tranny?? I haven't climbed under them yet so sorry if this is something obvious just by looking at them.

Last edited:

BroncoDan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
updated post...

Last edited:

snoopdoggie

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 2.9 2.9 4.0 4.0
The 2WD is a different trans than the 4WD trans. You cannot put a transfer case on a 2WD trans.

BroncoDan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
damn... well that is no bueno... so i guess i will have to keep my tranny so i can stay 4WD or find a 4WD explorer tranny and computer?

can a moderator move this post over to the 'other conversions' area??? I think i have moved beyond this location... ;-(

BlackBII

Cheaf of Grammor Poleace
Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Yeah, cannot use a Transfer Case with a 2wd tranny.

I wouldn't trust that A4LD behind the 4.0 for too long, they don't last behind the 2.9's..

I would swap the 4.0 in, use the 2.9's tranny for the time being, and start looking for a M5OD.

BroncoDan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
I really want to stick with an automatic... I already have a 5-speed Mustang that is fun to drive but an Auto has it's benefits when you are sitting in traffic on the way to the beach... I don't plan on beating too hard on the rig... maybe my tranny will be sufficient...

BroncoDan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
I read on a posting that the 89 BII A4LD and 92 Ex A4LD are the same in that they are both computer controlled for TCC lockup and OD. Is that right?? I need to find that post so i can put a link to it...

BroncoDan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Ok so next question... if i buy a rebuilt 4wd transmission for the Explorer will my tcase hook up to it and will the 2WD Explorer computer work? I am thinking yes but would like comfirmation. Thanks.