•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Need some tips on how to line up my passenger door on my 86 B2

jkufen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1991
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
I swapped the doors on my 86 B2 and the driver door lined up fine but the passenger door will not line up for anything. I tried to line it up without any spacers but that didnt work and then I tried putting a spacer under the bottom hinge because the end of the door was drooping and it needed to be raised up. Any tips on what I can do? Because the door doesn't line up very well, there are gaps and when i am offroad the mud and water finds its way in. Thanks!

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
You align doors to the quarter panel and rocker panel. If you cannot get those gaps right , then something is bent. Then the front fender is aligned to the already aligned door.

jkufen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1991
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
so should i take off the quarter panel then put the door on?

Beachbuggy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
so should i take off the quarter panel then put the door on?
No- The quarter panel and rocker are welded on. It sounds like you need to make some adjustments at the hinge where it mounts on the body (not the door). Just adding shims at the door/hinge mount point changes all the geometry in the hinge. I would suggest removing all your shims and trying this:

1 Loosen the hinges at all points, ( i believe there are 2 bolts on the door and three on the body) not sloppy, just enough to be able to move the door around a little on the body.

2 close the door onto the striker and move the door around until the gap on the back edge is about two paint sticks thick (break it in half and you can slide the door right against it without damaging paint) and the gap to the rocker is even front to back.

3 Snug one bolt at each contact point. This should give you a pretty good starting point to fine tune. You'll have a hard time reaching the ones behind the fender, might be easier to pull the fender off.

As a general rule, adjustments at hinge to door are made to move the door in or out from the body (closer to or farther from the dash) and strait up and down. Adjustments to the hinge/body move the door forward/back and angle up and down

Good luck!

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
As was said, there is no adjustment with the quarter. Its behind the door, fender is in front. Adjust the door to the rocker and quarter first, not worrying too much about the fender gap. Then when you have good gaps at the rocker and back to the quarter, then start adjusting the fender.

jkufen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1991
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
yeah i had a brain fart I was thinking when you said quarter panel you meant the fender on the outside but now i got you. Thanks for the instructions I will give that a whirl and see! :icon_thumby: