•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Neutral safty switch on location!!!!

Billygoatninja88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Yes I have looked for hours have not found anywear that shows were it is. As great as chilton repair manual its pretty vague on the location and how get to it.

I think my nss is going out because sometimes when I'm driving then park then turn it off then minuts later (any amount of time), such as running into the convenience store for a slurpee, it won't start unlest I move the shifter back and fourth a few times then it will start.

Vehicle in question is 88 b2 auto Eddie Bauer.:temper:

ab_slack

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
I have found the Chilton manuals a bit more informative than the Haynes manuals (don't know if Chilton is around anymore) but neither compare to shop manual.

In this case the shop manual is annoyingly vague. They show a detail of the switch and then with the switch mounted but the mounted view is too far zoomed in and NOTHING else labeled that you have no bearing on where it is. There may be some diagram in the shop manual that labels it, but every diagram in the area where the switch is talked about only labels some things and the neutral safety switch isn't there.

It is one of two places. Underneath the bezel stuff where the shifter arm is, or someplace in the linkage most likely right by where it enters the trans. The trans linkage stuff can be accessed from underneath on the drivers side. Look for anything with wires.

Last time I changed one was on a 94 jeep and the switch was right at the linkage right where it goes into the trans. I would look underneath first since that doesn't require pulling anything apart.

You should be able to start in park or neutral, so if you have a problem with park, sometimes the contacts at the neutral position don't wear out as soon as the ones in park.

When you get to replacing it, if the mounting also allows for setting the position (like in the Jeep I did) make sure you test with a meter the contacts and see they do the right thing in park and neutral. Most likely the switch will be open except where it is allowed to start. You just don't want to get it in and find you can only start while in drive or is possible to crank in drive or reverse even though it does in park.

The shop manual said nothing about the switch positioning so it may not be adjustable.

Billygoatninja88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
I asked over at trs and said it was on the driver side right above where the shift lever cable connects to the lever so that if anyone has the same question there it is.