•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

New 4x4 module finally!

AledoGYoung

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
I finally got a 4x4 control module today from a 1992 bronco. I have a 1988 bronco ii. I plugged it all in and it passed the light test. So I tried to engage four wheel drive and it went into 4 high and 4 low, and it fixed my indicator light for 4 high. Later I tried it out and when I tried to put in 4 high the module just clicked and never went into 4 wheel. I heard the shift motor turn but then it came back out to 2 wheel. Then I tried it again and it went right in to 4 wheel. I have cleaned my shift motor before, could it be that my motor is bad? Is it worth replacing or trying to clean it up again?

PanamaExpat

1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Mazda
Engine Size
4 liter
Make certain that the wipers on the cover of the motor position sensor disc are clean and contacting the disc. You can bend them up slightly to improve contact. If you have taken this apart and did not mark the position of the cover when you did it you may have it back together out of tolerance for the signals to reach the 4019 chip on the board to tell the microprocessor where the motor is. If it is off by even a few millimeters the system could get lost and not know what to do.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
Makes me happy that I have the manual transfer case and manual hubs.

Seems like once those electronic t-cases start failing its just easier to remove them and replace with a manual unit. Heaven forbid people had to get out turn 2 knobs and then pull a lever for 4WD. Yes I have a newer truck that I can just turn a knob, but I seriously don't trust it. My 1988 Ford F-250 has over 300,000 miles on the original drive train and the only thing replaced was both the hubs because they got worn out.

I'd seriously look into swapping in a manual t-case or get a shiftster kit that someone else on here has. These old trucks the electrical systems aren't that great anymore LOL, trying to fix stuff that's 20+ years old may not be worth the hassle.

AledoGYoung

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
I know,I know I will eventually put in all manual after I get out of college but for now I am sticking with the electric shift. So I am thinking about replacing the shift motor because it probably is just a hair out of position. It goes in half the time and doesn't the other times. hopefully I can find a lifetime guarantee shift motor to last me until I can change to manual. Thanks again for all the responses!