•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

New guy, new project: 1988 BII wheeler

leumas12

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Well im finally getting some new pics up! Here is where im at now:

New front suspension components are here:

Tie rods are made. They are the original drag link sleeved with 1.25” sch 40 pipe:

And the front axle is under the truck :icon_thumby::

Sorry for the bad pic, I will get a better one later. Now im gonna get started making the radius arms for the front end. Thanks!

spaz1879

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
thats a tab bit awesome. you finally got them axles under there when you gonna go for a test drive:D? where do the lines for the cylinder connect to? also what site did u order the stuff in that pic with the hiems.

Last edited:

leumas12

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
thanks!

Once i finish the suspension, steering, and transfer cases i will be able to take it for a test drive :D The suspension stuff came from RuffStuffSpecialties.com. They're a great company with awesome products and customer service. The lines for the cylinder go to the steering control unit which is what the steering wheel hooks up to. Now if the rain would just stop...

spaz1879

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
The lines for the cylinder go to the steering control unit which is what the steering wheel hooks up to.
do you have a picture of this or is it just the stock one on the truck:icon_confused:

leumas12

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
its a new part from a forklift i believe (basically takes the place of the steering box on a normal truck). Its buried under other parts but i will get a pic when i can :icon_thumby: The only thing that will be the same for the original steering and the hydraulic steering is the pump haha.

Rinny650

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
302, now "Demon" 347
Its an orbital valve. Google orbital valve

spaz1879

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
that is a pretty good write up how is your daul ram actuator:icon_idea: coming along? get it all plumbed?

leumas12

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
boy ive been stingy with updates havent i? haha school has been a pain (had a big midterm monday and have another one this monday) and ive just been doing little odds and ends pretty much. Have some work im planning for tomorrow, should be able to get some pictures up soon :icon_thumby:

leumas12

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Finally getting another update up on here! Its been almost 2 months, cant believe its been that long! The suspension is pretty much done, just need shocks and to tighten up the bumpstops. Heres how it stands:

Heres how I did it:

I first got the arms all mounted:

And the mount from the upper arm to the passenger arm. I added a piece to bridge the gap between arm and bracket but never got a picture of it.

then got a nut that matched the threads on the original bottom mount stud that came on the BII axle welded to the arm

Then I put a 1.5” pipe wall flange and cap with a hole bored in it over that along with the stud

After that I put a stock xj coil spring isolator over the flange and put on the coil. Then I made a plate that goes on the stud and tightens down on the coil to hold it in. After that came the upper mounts. They were pretty simple. 3/8” steel with a piece of the original upper mount welded to it to hold the coil on center. To hold it in I used 5/8” cable clamps. Heres what they look like:

And the installed coil:

The panhard is just 1” pipe sleeved with 1.25” pipe, It’ll be plenty strong. Also it looks like its going to interfere with the truss under compression but its actually angled towards the front of the truck. It doesn’t have much clearance (less than 1/8”) but its enough for me.

The brake parts are on backorder from Summit. They are supposed to ship on the 27th so lets hope they get here around then. Tomorrow im heading to the hydraulic supply place to try and figure out the steering lines, mainly the fittings. That’s about it. Thanks for looking! :icon_thumby:

leumas12

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Hey guys! Im back again with an update. I got all my hoses and fittings from a place call Hoses and Fittings, etc. in Fremont. They had great service and were really helpful. Heres what i got:

For the hydraulic steering hoses i got 20' of Parker 421-6 (3/8") hose and their field attachable fittings. These fittings are pretty cool. they dont require crimping, you attach em with only 2 wrenches. Heres how they work:

After cutting the hose with an abrasive chop saw or cut off wheel, etc. and cleaning the cut, you take the fitting on the left (which has a left hand thread) and tighten it down over the hose until the hose bottoms out in the fitting.

After that you take the piece on the right which is hollow and has a right hand thready that matches the thread on the inside of the first fitting.

As you tighten the second fitting into the first, it pushes itself into the hose and pinches it between the two fittings. Once the fitting is tightened all the way down, its sealed and ready to go, thats it!

And heres a hose all finished

I also got my brake system done. Here's how it came out:

Having the red brake lines and black radius arms looks pretty sweet (nice job picking the color Katrina!). Its inspired me to (whenever i decide to paint this thing) paint the truck in that same red. With a black soft top and radius arms/axles it will look awesome :cool:

And now here's my special little "im poor" project :D. I needed some sort of parking brake for this truck and i also wanted a way to lock up the rear axle while letting the front spin to do front digs. I could do a couple things to achieve this ability. First i could get a cutting brake, but that costs $150 and wouldnt give me the ability to keep it locked as a parking brake. Also, i could get line locks but they are at least $50 and would kill my battery if i used them as a parking brake for more than a day or so. So i decided to make my own line locks. It was pretty easy, i just got two 1/4" ball valves, some 1/4"NPT to 1/8"NPT bushings, and some 3/8" inverted flare to 1/8" NPT adapters. Here are the parts (excluding brake line of course)

Now i know that ball valves will wear out eventually but thats no big deal, whenever they do that i will just replace them or figure out something else.

after getting the fitting on i just rerouted the brake lines for the front and rear through the valves. So heres how they work all installed (view from drivers seat looking down and to the right):

With both valves open, everything is normal. Brake pressure in both axles is controlled by the pedal.

By pressing down the brake pedal and closing the front valve (the one on the left), the brakes are locked on the front axle and the rear brakes are controlled by the pedal.

By pressing down the brake pedal and closing the rear valve (the one on the right), the brakes are locked on the rear axle and the front brakes are controlled by the pedal. This is what i will be using the most, as this is the position that will allow for an effective front dig.

By pressing down the brake pedal and closing both valves, the brakes are locked in both the front and rear. Obviously, this is the parking brake haha

That's the update! I have to bleed the brakes still and add a filter and possibly cooler to the hydraulic steering system. After that its on to finishing up the double transfer case (shifters, etc.), making driveshafts, and doing the cage/body work. Hopefully soon i can get a job and start bringing some money in to finish up this stuff. Thanks for checking it out!! :icon_thumby:

Sam

JohnnyU

"Outlaw"
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Chevrolet
Engine Size
Ls2
Are you planning to gusset or add fish plates to those radius arms? I think the mitered joints are going to be rather high stress joints just as is without some additional support.

Looking pretty good otherwise.

DRIFTGOD187

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
nice work, looks awesome :icon_thumby:

leumas12

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Are you planning to gusset or add fish plates to those radius arms? I think the mitered joints are going to be rather high stress joints just as is without some additional support.

Looking pretty good otherwise.
yeah im going to add fish plates. Im out of money so i need to do stuff that i can do for free anyway :D

spaz1879

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
that is a pretty good idea for the E brake but why would you want the front and back brakes to work speratly? how would that help you on the trail like what kind of situation would you use it in?

leumas12

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
It helps in front digs mostly. Since my transfer case has seperate shifters for the front and back I can unlock the rear axle, lock the rear brakes, turn the wheel and give it gas. This will make the truck turn on the rear axle and therefore make tight turns easier. It also makes it easier to get the front tires in a different position if necessary. I also could do this with the rear axle but since i dont have rear steer it isnt as useful there.

Im actualy changing that setup a bit, those ball valves are only rated for 600PSI so im going to get some other ones rated for 7250PSI :cool:.

leumas12

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Finally got some updates to post! here we go:

First off, I redid the line locks with some slightly bigger valves haha here they are:

Rated for 7250 PSI!

and installed (to fit them I had to turn the back one on its side but its actually better, no mixing up which one im using now!)

Made myself some steps too. Just took some rope, hooks, thimbles, cable clamps, and pieces of a 2x4 and I have a removable, cheap and effective step! Here are the materials:

Hooks bolt up using the seat bolts:

Slide the rope through the wood (its 3/8” rope through 1/2" holes):

Make the ends with the thimbles and cable clamps:

Loop the ends on the hooks:

And you have a step!

Stores away too so it wont get hung up on rocks, etc

leumas12

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
And for my last update, I cut off the top of the truck and dovetailed it. It looks pretty awesome if I do say so myself haha. Heres the view from the back now:

And heres are some other shots of it dovetailed and the top chopped:

Heres what I did for the dovetail…

Welded some sheet metal to cover the gap created by the cutting of the fender and roof then ground it all down smooth:

added some supports to the floor:

and riveted them together

and finally rewelded the cuts I made to the support where I wanted it to bend:

Thats it!! thanks for looking guys :)

jaymegriffiths

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
looks great! excellent work! very beefy, what did you use for brake lines? could you go into a little more detail here, id love to run a similair front setup on my 2wd to make a cheap front line lock!