•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

New guy; New Toy

kaba

Reaction score
I bought a 1985 Bronco II today. It has the 2.8 liter engine, automatic, 4WD, and XLT trim package. It has 10042 miles and is in good condition overall. I am the third owner. The only faults I've found so far are a burned taillight. Water temp not reading. And the low fuel light stays lit although the fuel gauge works.

It needs a really good cleaning in and out and the engine needs service but I really happy with it.

I hope to learn lots from members here.

Thanks for looking,
kaba

Last edited:

3rd Petal

Reaction score
Welcome. That's a pretty clean looking B2. Have any big plans for it?

kayakcrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
Welcome, my first b2 was exactly like that. Great truck, there is tons of info on here, can't wait to see what you decided to do with it

kaba

Reaction score
It has the stock steel wheels which have some severe surface rust. I'd like to replace those with some nice polished aluminum rims perhaps. But other than getting it in excellent mechanical, electrical, and appearance condition I hope to keep it stock. This will probably ultimately go to my grandson who'll be 16 in a few months.

JerryC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Nice Bronco II.

Unasked advice...
Build more stability into it. The 16 yr old is likely to drive it hard and likely (as all 16 yr olds are) to crash it.

You can help him out some with bigger tires on wheels that widen the stance a bit. Bigger tires will also help it stop better. Get good shocks and replace the sway bar bushings with poly bushings.

I can't imagine a 16 yr old boy really digging that baby blue and white paint scheme :)

kaba

Reaction score
Nice Bronco II.

Unasked advice...
Build more stability into it. The 16 yr old is likely to drive it hard and likely (as all 16 yr olds are) to crash it.

You can help him out some with bigger tires on wheels that widen the stance a bit. Bigger tires will also help it stop better. Get good shocks and replace the sway bar bushings with poly bushings.

I can't imagine a 16 yr old boy really digging that baby blue and white paint scheme :)
JerryC, Welcomed advise I assure you. It has 235/75R-15 Michelins on it now. I have found some used American Racing wheels for a Jeep Wrangler I may buy. The shocks are definitely due a replacement but I'm thinking something aimed for street use instead of performance.

The grandson is a good kid. Honor student, a youth leader in his church, and in many ways a throwback to early generations. He has a single mom so any vehicle he gets will please him. (My first car was a 48 Chevy Business Coupe that I paid $75 for.)

JerryC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
I meant for street driving. The short wheelbase can get away from you in the turns pretty fast, especially if the suspension parts have some age on them. The BII isn't the most forgiving vehicle if you go too fast into a turn.

I did the sway bar bushings on mine recently and even though the ones that were on it looked "ok", the difference in handling was dramatic. The parts are cheap and the job is easy but may take a little time. It would be a great Grandpa, Grandson afternoon event.

The 235's are big enough, that's what I have on mine. They look smaller on the steel wheels. I have General Grabber AT2's they are a good general purpose tire. They also look like a truck tire, my wife insisted on that one :), or I probably would have picked the Cooper AT3.

kayakcrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
It would be a great Grandpa, Grandson afternoon event.
ditto on that, as Im sure you know already, some of my fondest memories are of me and my boys in the shop on various projects over the years