•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

New guy on the block!

Area 52

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Just picked up a 90 BII 4wd last night and seeking input from the experienced owners on maintenance and such. I'm a geezer but still roll around under cars quite a bit (and still able to get up to standing position albeit not too spry!).

History: 109000 on odometer; bought from 2nd owner; first owner hooked it up to the back of his 40 foot diesel pusher and made 5 around the country trips...so engine mileage is probably 30-40k less than what shows on the odometer.

Would like to know what to go through and check out first including fluids and best performing and recommended fluids.

Also...kind of concerned about the small radiator and it's true ability to keep cooling in check. Are there any larger, multi-row radiators available on the market?

Best factory online parts store for price and service???

This will be the first of many posts...have read up on all of the Tech sections and other posts.

Thanks in advance for your guidance! :pray:

-Kevin

86ford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
4.0, abused and misunderstood
Welcome!

Get a radiator from a B2 with a Automatic trans (if you have a 5spd that is), I believe they are larger.

With your b2 being a 1990 model we need to figure out what Transmission you have and what front axle. there were some "odd balls" that got the better front axle and transmission in the 1990 model year. I have had the best luck with summit racing for online parts.

tpking

Reaction score
get a 4.0 radiator and put in there

Area 52

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Welcome!

Get a radiator from a B2 with a Automatic trans (if you have a 5spd that is), I believe they are larger.

With your b2 being a 1990 model we need to figure out what Transmission you have and what front axle. there were some "odd balls" that got the better front axle and transmission in the 1990 model year. I have had the best luck with summit racing for online parts.

Thanks for the quick response:
Pulled the codes off the door - Mitsubishi tranny
Haven't been under yet to check out if there's a code tag on the front axle, but the build date on the BII is December 1989. From one of the tech articles I read, the 35 axle was installed after November 1989. It seems like you are saying a few of the smaller axles may have run over into December or later???

Thanks for the Summit referral and good idea on the auto tranny radiator!

Last edited:

Area 52

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
get a 4.0 radiator and put in there
Thanks for jumping back to me....and....Oooo...great idea on the 4.0. So would a 4.0 'automatic' radiator slip right in or are mods required?

Little_blue_B2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L v6
I put the 4.0 Radiator in my 85'. It was for a early 90's Explorer with a tow package. It works Great! Runs cool ALL the time. All I had to do was make a couple of holes for the fan shroud. The ONLY weird thing was the lower hose, had to use the one from the 2.9 :dntknw:

Area 52

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I put the 4.0 Radiator in my 85'. It was for a early 90's Explorer with a tow package. It works Great! Runs cool ALL the time. All I had to do was make a couple of holes for the fan shroud. The ONLY weird thing was the lower hose, had to use the one from the 2.9 :dntknw:
thanks Little blue
I assume the 4.0 radiator is thicker. Two questions fer ya...did you use the 2.9 or 4.0 shroud and...did the thicker radiator shift the shroud closer to the fan?

Little_blue_B2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L v6
Yea it was a two core radiator, I have the 2.8 and I used the original shroud for it. And I'll have to take a look about being closer. I'm sure it was because the radiator is thicker but not enough to make a large difference. When I got the truck the original Radiator was junk so we upgraded. I don't know how accurate the temp. gauge is in my truck but it will never go above the top of the "M".

lepp1892

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I don't even have a shroud on my truck and it never gets hot... I ended up removing it when i put on my body lift on.

Area 52

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Thanks guys...just took another look and if needed I can trim the shroud down at least an inch for proper placement of the fan into the shroud.

Also, on the gauge...these are considered to be idiot gauges: cold is at lowest position...quickly builds to moderate after a couple minutes and will only go high when the engine melts down.

twoll86

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
:icon_thumby:dont know how much your wanting to do but a 4.0 swap would do the thing wonders. o and the coil and wiring from a 86-93 fox body are the same on the 2.9 so if you want to run a msd coil u can use a 5.0 coil and also the make a plug and play wiring kit to put on the msd6al box to the fox bodys so u can have a complete plug and play system also if your box ever goes out you can un hook it from the factory harness and plug it right into the coil so you wont get stranded:headbang: