•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

New system for the old mule...( 1989 Bronco II )

Jimbo's-mule

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 Liter V6 "Cologne"
I'm getting ready to replace the existing junk in my B2. I have a few questions for those of you who may know or been through this. 1st, I have been reading Tempe's write up for putting together a system for good sound BTW thank you Tempe. I am leaning toward a Pioneer premier DEH-P490iB unit with a set of 6.5's in the front doors and probably amp and sub for good quality kick.

I have not done this myself but have plenty of mechanical experience. Just want to know the general going about it. so here is a few questions to start:
1. Does the trim around the radio that is part of the dash snap off and on.
2. Do I need any special wiring harnesses for my vehicle.
3. Any tips on building a sub cabinet and amp rack for the rear of the
vehicle

Last edited:

Pistons23

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2. you will need an adapter harness. metra should make one. the adapter harness ties into the aftermarket stereos harness. then you just plug it into the factory connector.

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
1. Does the trim around the radio that is part of the dash snap off and on.
If the dash looks like this one:

Then you don't have to remove any part of the dash. you need either a set of removal tools, or bend a thick coat hanger into 2 U-shaped pieces. Slide the tools into the four holes on the front of the radio, and pull the radio out. It may take some serious wiggling and pulling to finally get it out, but be patient.

Jimbo's-mule

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 Liter V6 "Cologne"
Sorry, I forgot to add that the existing junk is an aftermarket Jenson piece of
crap. It looks like they just slid it in where the factory one was but I'm not sure.... Thanks for any help on this

Pistons23

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
does your dash look like the one in the picture exbass posted? if it is, then youll need to find a dash installation kit. thats assuming your going with a single din stereo.

foxmx217

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
if you go onto crutchfield.com you can find a lot of really helpful stuff. I did my research primarily on there, with everything from their videos to tech articles. They sell all the wiring adaptors, install kits, and come with REALLY good instructions and customer service. As far as building a box, its pretty straightforward. I built a custom box for a 10" behind the seat of my Ranger Supercab and it probably took me only 2 hours. I used 3/4" MDF, so me caulking, and a jigsaw. Might help to get some speaker terminals too. be sure to note the reccommended volume for your specific sub. It's all pretty easy I'd never done it before and I put in a head unit, speakers, sub, and amp and wired the whole thing and built the box in less than a weekend.