•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

New Tires

Nathan123

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 Litre
I just got a set of 30x9.5x15 grabber at2's for my BII. It has explorer leafs and one inch blocks in the rear and stock front suspension. Stock 7 inch aluminum rims. My speedo was about 2 under with stock tires, now its about 2 or 3 over, so thats about 5 off. When I get to about 60-63 miles per hour, the whole bronco starts shuddering. It feels like a massive driveline vibration. I had my gps on the windsheild (to tell how fast I was going) and it was shaking back and forth like crazy. I don't feel comfortable trying 70. With my stock size (205 75 r15 at2's) tires I could hit 85+ with negligable vibrations in the steering wheel. What's wrong?

bilzy7

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
did they not balance your tires right? you did get alignment after right? i mean if tires are only thing changed, and boom this happend.... that would be my assumption. are they filled to correct tire pressure? i mean these are the basics but... first thing to check... and ask...lol

bilzy7

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
im hoping when i do balljoints and bushings my ride will be smooth at highway speeds... but mine isnt that bad... it used to be HORRRRIBLE though... made me think my tire was gonna rip off. i filled up to correct psi and got an alignment.

Blake.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Engine Size
my dad's f150 did this. the tire shop over inflated the tires and they bounced like basket balls. they had ~50 in each tire.

Nathan123

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 Litre
I'll check the tire pressure quick I guess, I just don't know what it should be, It won't be what the door says because it's a different size. I was actually thinking the bigger heavier tires were just exposing shaky balljoints, but I'm hoping that's not the case. The bill says the tires were spin balanced. I didn't have an alignment, but nothing should have changed by just putting on bigger tires right?

badmts

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Mazda
Engine Size
most ride disturbance at 60 is TIRE BALANCE.Alignment causes pull and tire wear.Overinflation will help mask a balance issue actually. did they put weights on both sides of the wheel (dynamic) or just the inside(static)?if you don't know go look ,a weight may have come off.

Downey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
take it back to where you had the tires put on and tell them you have a problem. they should of balanced your tires and test drove your truck to check for problems. i hate it when people half ass shit. when i worked at a dealership i would test drive some vehicles 2 or 3 times if i found a problem to make sure it was fixed pissed me off when people half ass shit

Nathan123

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 Litre
The tires have weights on both sides, and they have between 31.8 and 32.5 psi in them. Although you can feel a shake in the steering wheel, it's not so much the wheel that vibrates as the whole truck vibrates pretty hard. :dunno:

fix_or_repair_daily

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford,Chevy,Satu
Engine Size
2.3, 5.7, 1.9
You may have got a bad/out of round tire. I had some shitty recaps on my B2 for about a year, and I balanced them myself on the spin balancer where I used to work. Even though they were balanced perfectly according to the machine, you could see that they weren't quite round when they spun. Needless to say it shook like a bitch going down the interstate at 65 mph. I wouldn't have used them at all, but they were free and had almost full tread.

Josh