•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

New to me 1989 bronco 2

Ktmkris

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
I have a new to me bronco II with a al4d. I purchased it 2 weeks ago, and that was 600 miles ago. When purchased the motor was quiet, little bit of tick at start up and quickly go away. I brought it home and drove it for a three days and changed oil. maybe 100 miles on it. Noticed the tick about every time at start up. Also saw there was a cheap filter on it. So I did a oil change with a fl1a, I always use 15w40 valvoline. Same thing I use in my diesel trucks, just easy to use it across the board. So after 200 miles i start noticing a tapping noise in nuetral and park when the engine is held at a steady 2000 rpm. Sounded as if noise was being echoed out of transmission. So i did the pulling plugs trick and isolated rear cylinder on drivers side. Does not knock when in gear, only nuetral or park. Now the knock is starting at 1,500 rpm. I pulled valve cover and checked rocker arms, they are oiling, set properly and seam to be working ok. Pulled the push rods on the cylinder and knock goes away. how can I differentiat the lifters from rod knock? I have had a f100 with rod knock one time, and it did it all the time.

The noise when held at 1500 to 2000rpm sounds tin can like, hollow. i first thought it sounded like torque converter hitting a splash shield

Ktmkris

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
I pulled the intake push rod and exhaust pushrod seperately and sound was still there. When i pull both of them together the sound vanished. so am I right in thinking it is a rod knocking?