•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

New user. New (to me) 1987 XLS. New problems.

Monkey King Coffee

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II XLT
Suspension Style
4wd
Greetings!

I was given a 1987 Bronco II XLS 4x4 two days ago to fix up and ship to my coffee farm in Hawaii. It will be a general purpose work and grocery run vehicle. I'll use the 4x4 feature every day I drive it. But back to 2WD once I hit the paved roads. If you know the Big Island. You know what I'm talking about.

It runs and drives well*. Recently given a complete engine rebuild, new clutch, transmission overhaul. No major issues that can't be fixed quick and cheap -- AC recharge, new windshield and minor odds, ends, and a few rust bubbles. (I'm not worried about fixing rust. I own an old Porsche.) I'm going to sort this out in Las Vegas, and then ship the car to Hawaii from Long Beach. May as well have the work done here where shipping and parts isn't stupidly expensive. I have four months to get this truck sorted for shipping.

Here are my issues:

1) I need more legroom and the driver's seat needs to be lower. Bolted directly to the floor, if possible. I'm a giant. 6'7" -- ridiculously long legs. And the 600-mile trip I just took from Colorado to Nevada was too painful -- even with working cruise control. There just wasn't any place to put my feet. And it was like sitting in coach for hours on end. I stopped for gas every hour or two whether I needed gas or not, just to get out. Anyone have a bolt-in "tall guy" solution for seating?

2) The "back seats" are useless. Nobody will ever sit there. Ever. Not a chance in hell. So what do people do with that space once they remove the unnecessary rear seats? Any ideas?

3) Need a winch for a great many reasons -- mostly forestry related. Recommendations?

4) Jerry can storage for hauling diesel to my farm equipment. Near the spare in the back? Recommendations?

5) Roof rack for lumber. I'm always building and repairing things -- I have an old farm house which needs loads of work. And coffee processing buildings which are only being held up by good intentions. I'm planning on strapping 4x8 plywood to the rack; long 4x4" beams, framing studs and similar. Recommendations?

My priority is: Safety, Comfort, Cost, Appearance -- in that order. Eventually, I may wrap the truck and turn it into a rolling billboard. But for now, just seats, storage and winch will get me on my way.

* Seems to have the Ignition Control Module "gets too hot and fails on hills" problem. Easy fix. Already ordered the ICM.

alwaysFlOoReD

Blang - not bling
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '93, '98
Vehicle
Various
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0, 4.6
Suspension Style
4wd
I built a front receiver and had a winch that I could move from back to front as needed. I stored the winch in the back when not needed.
I think you will need to build a custom seat mounting. When you remove the rear seats it should make it easier to move the sitting position farther back.
I would custom build a roof rack. You can make it removable by utilizing the (rain guard) drip rail. There used to be roof racks manufactured to use the drip rail, but now that vehicles no longer have them its not an option to buy. I built a roof rack on my ranger mounting the front roof rack bar on the drip rail. The rear is bolted to the cap. I used round metal fence rail for the cross pieces. I've carried a lot of weight on that. I also have a front receiver that I made a attachment for when I carry real long stuff. I've carried a plank 24 feet long with that set up.