•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Newbie to B2's

jkent

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Hello all,

Looking to buy a cheap toy to ride the trails and do a little offroading with in summer with some jeep buddies. I came across a 84 bronco II, carb 2.8, 5 speed, 6" suspension lift and 2" body lift with D28 front and 7.5 rear on 33s. I've been trying to research as much as possible, and i understand its current axles are pretty weak, but would they be able to hold up to the 33s? I know of the d35/8.8 swap and its simplicity, but id like to run the current setup (maybe weld the rear, ideas?) and see if its something i really enjoy before i stick a lot of money into the bronco. I would probably ditch the body lift if i did end up getting it to lower the cog some. Ideally id like to be able to drive the rig on the street to the play area. Sorry for the probably common newbie questions, just looking to get into a new hobby. Thanks everyone! :icon_cheers:

Last edited:

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
First off, I have an 84 Bronco 2 5 speed completely stock and well in very horrible need of cosmetic work. I can say this, if you want to run larger tires than 31's you need to seriously consider the axle swap as it will eventually stress the axles to failure in offroad situations where you are going to be continuously beating on the axles, shafts, bearings, etc. If you stay with 31" tires, and stock axles you will be pretty good, just carry extra parts with you just in case. I haven't done any wheeling with mine, but they are pretty capable in stock form if you are careful.

Second, you want to drive the truck on the street, so absolutely DO NOT weld the rear axle, that gives you a permanent posi-trac and you will not like it on the street, it will wear your tires very quick, plus will give some really unpredictable results in slick conditions if you aren't careful, not to mention in many states driving on a public roadway with a locked axle(s) is illegal. Spend the money and either do some sort of limited slip type rear differential, or get a select-able locker such as an ARB air locker or similar setup.

jkent

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
I do know the front axle on the b2 im looking at is freshly rebuilt, I just want some opinions from more knowledgable people to see if think tthe axles would hold up to a summer of offroading if im easy on the pedal. I understand what welding the spider gears does too, I just figured if would help a lot for the vehicles main purpose, which is a play toy. Sure it wil see some road time but it's not like its a dd. If I enjoy the b2 on the trails, I would swap in a d35/8.8 in winter, hence why I would want to buy a locker for the 7.5. Thanks.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
I do know the front axle on the b2 im looking at is freshly rebuilt, I just want some opinions from more knowledgable people to see if think tthe axles would hold up to a summer of offroading if im easy on the pedal. I understand what welding the spider gears does too, I just figured if would help a lot for the vehicles main purpose, which is a play toy. Sure it wil see some road time but it's not like its a dd. If I enjoy the b2 on the trails, I would swap in a d35/8.8 in winter, hence why I would want to buy a locker for the 7.5. Thanks.
Your current axles will work just fine contrary to what a lot of people say on here, you have to remember a lot of people here just have the modify the crap out of every vehicle they touch idea, so they like to try to force it upon other people as well. I'm not sure what the actual mileage is on my bronco 2 but from what I can tell it was abused heavily offroad/onroad, and everywhere else, and it still has the original axles.

If you are going to drive it on the road at all you don't want to be locking the rear axle you'll be kicking yourself everytime you have to buy new tires because you will be wearing them out pretty quick with a welded axle, unless you have a way to drive strictly on soft surfaces all the way to your wheeling location LOL.

Don't get too crazy with larger size tires because you'll lose power that way trying to turn the larger tires. If and when you are able to swap axles I believe most are running at least 4.10 gearing which will give you better power for your larger tires. With the 3.73 gears in my 84 Bronco 2 the 31" tires on it now it handles ok, but I wouldn't go any bigger I can still maintain highway speeds, but you can tell the tires are larger.

CurtisP87

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
First off, welcome to the world of RBVs! B2s have traditionally been overlooked by a lot of theoffroad community, but the people here have proven they're apretty capable little rig, and I love mine.
The front axle being freshly rebuilt is a sign- it didn't hold up to the 33s. I would bet you could get thru a summer of wheeling IF you know when to let off the gas pedal. :D

Brownie Mobile

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8l
she should have a factory LSD in the rear check your axle codes theres a list with all the axle codes and what they mean somewhere just look around.