•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

No O/D on '91 Explorer A4LD

Uly The Hermit

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Hi. The O/D quit working on my '91 Explorer, 4.0L, auto A4LD trans, 4WD. It will not engage at all--just like putting it in neutral. From everything I've read so far it sounds like the O/D sprag broke. Not sure what that is but is it OK to continue to drive it in D? Or is it likely that it will suddenly fail and not go at all? It seems to work OK in R, D, 1, and 2.

The trans is supposedly a rebuilt that has maybe 40K miles on it since installed. The fluid was changed about 20K miles ago when it had a shift lever seal leak and then again about 1000 miles ago when it looked like it needed to be changed. New filter/gasket both times too.

89STX

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
My 89 did the same thing at about 85,000 miles. It would not start moving with the gear shift in O/D, but it would shift to O/D if I started in Drive and moved the gearshift to O/D at about 55 mph.

I had it rebuilt and don't remember exactly what was broken. I wouldn't recommend driving it too much, because the broken parts flying around in the transmission might tear up other parts in the transmission.

badco

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1991 Ranger 4x4
i had a 1991 ranger that did that and found out the computer was the problem

pimtool

OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
They have solenoids in the tranny that control O/D and TTC lock up. They can go bad and cause O/D and/or TCC lock up not to work. I would check them first, its alot cheaper than a rebuild.