•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

no spark 86 Bronco II

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
ford
mer
Engine Size
2.9 5.0 5.0 5.2
got my motor all built up now and i have no spark, i tried the fusable link and it ran for a bit then pittered out again.

i know nothing about rangers lol. tbirds cougars and mustangs yes. its a whole new experiance for this lol

thanks!

Clayton

IMenriched

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02'
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
2.9 & 5.4
got my motor all built up now and i have no spark, i tried the fusable link and it ran for a bit then pittered out again.

i know nothing about rangers lol. tbirds cougars and mustangs yes. its a whole new experiance for this lol

thanks!

Clayton
Clayton

just after a rebuild...hmmm go back and recheck your connections...especally the grounds, there is several.

remove the TFI or ignition module & have it tested, located on the back of the distributor, just below the cap.

If you got it to run briefly, did you hear the fuel pump prime when turning the key on, do not engage the starter, should be breif 2-4sec.

could be relays too

how did it sound when it did fire up?

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
ford
mer
Engine Size
2.9 5.0 5.0 5.2
i hate those damn tfi modules...

for never seeing/hearing this thing run... it sounded like a pissed off weedwacker..

IMenriched

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02'
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
2.9 & 5.4
i hate those damn tfi modules...

for never seeing/hearing this thing run... it sounded like a pissed off weedwacker..
did it go to full throttle???

IF so....does it have cruise control(cc)??
if yes to the cc...then maybe you have the vacuum lines switched to the cc.
BTDT :shok: if switched.... it will go to WOT.

IMenriched

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02'
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
2.9 & 5.4
no cc

and what may i ask is BTDT? cause it did idle real high.
BTDT= Been There...Done That highly technical term for revisiting past events, most of which are unpleasant.

if there is no CC then that can't be it.....When i inadvertantly switched the vacuum lines on the CC ...it went straight to WOT upon starting. when you mentioned that it ran like a "pissed off weed eater"....that is what thought happened.

if this has not been running for some time....wouldn't get too nervious about a little bit high on the idle. engine computer is relearning yet.

does it run better with the new TFI???

recheck base timing if you can....check for vacuum leaks

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
ford
mer
Engine Size
2.9 5.0 5.0 5.2
Still no spark guy. Im going to get a new coil on payday, but until then its a waiting game again.

Psychopete

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
NONE
Still no spark guy. Im going to get a new coil on payday, but until then its a waiting game again.
Could be several things, coils don't typically go bad. There is a lot that needs to happen for you to finally get spark, it may be worth while to take a look at the TFI-IV diagnostics article in the technical library for things to look for and test procedures to help narrow down the foul component.

Pete

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
ford
mer
Engine Size
2.9 5.0 5.0 5.2
got spark... but no kick over and fire...she'll roll over and attempt to start.. Ive played with the timing in all directions. Its dead on #1 10* BTDC #1 spark plug wire then 142536FO and all that.

she will not run! shes got fuel spark and oxygen. Im at a loss. New Coil and TFI any ideas?

This truck was hydrolocked so the front was up to the rockers in water.

IMenriched

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02'
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
2.9 & 5.4
got spark... but no kick over and fire...she'll roll over and attempt to start.. Ive played with the timing in all directions. Its dead on #1 10* BTDC #1 spark plug wire then 142536FO and all that.

she will not run! shes got fuel spark and oxygen. Im at a loss. New Coil and TFI any ideas?

This truck was hydrolocked so the front was up to the rockers in water.
Hydrolocked??? :shok: :sad:take it that is what prompted the rebuild?
just what has been done?

have you done a compression check?? If compression is even accross the board....& you have spark...then the other missing link is fuel.

do you you hear the fuel pumps prime as you turn the key on,(not trying to start yet).

If you had nosed in the water...did you replace and or clean the charcole canister or any other fuel and or air componet that could been compromised.

did you hit the puddle hard?? check the inertia switch it maybe tripped,(inside the cab, passangerside, near where the left foot would be)

Last edited:

IMenriched

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02'
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
2.9 & 5.4
bad gas??

when resetting the base timing did you have the spout connector out?

do you have power to the fuel injectors??