•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

No spark

Eddie85

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
I have a 85 Bronco II that I put a 4.0 from a 94 Ranger in. Now I have everything installed and the harness hooked up as I think it is supposed to be but I am getting no spark. The engine turns over as it should and the fuel pump turns on as it should but no spark. Does anybody have suggestions of what I should check or replace or make sure I hooked up properly. Thank you all for you time.

Peace

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Did You get the ENTIRE engine bay harness from the donor?

I've seen atleast one 4.0 conversion where someone believed (incorrectly) thayt they needed just the on-engine and engine management harness and had it all installed and wired up.... and they had NO EDIS6 Module.... (which is mounted in the headlight harness against the radiator support by the battery....

No EDIS6 module, No Spark.....

EDIS6 = "Electronic Dirtributorless Ignition System, 6cylinder"

I've gotta ask because if you missed/forgot it you wouldn't be the first
(or even the fourth or fifth)

AD

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Are you getting power to the computer and do you have all the grounds in place you need power to the coil 90 schematic show red ltgreen key on and start, and Red from the eec relay to the computer

Eddie85

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
First of all yes I did get the whole harness. I have the EDIS in place.

Second, yes I am getting power to the computer. As far as all grounds in place, I have grounded everything that I saw needed to be grounded. It is possible that I missed something. I have hooked up the Red/ltgreen wires and like I said I can get the starter to turn over and the fuel pump to turn on. Are there any grounds that come out of the big white plug that I need to deal with?

The truck that I pulled the harness off of was an auto and I am using it on a manual application. The plug that I think went to the auto trans is just hanging out right now. Is there a neutral safety switch or something that I need to couple? Would the engine turn over if a neutral safety switch wasn't hooked up?

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
First of all yes I did get the whole harness. I have the EDIS in place.

Second, yes I am getting power to the computer. As far as all grounds in place, I have grounded everything that I saw needed to be grounded. It is possible that I missed something. I have hooked up the Red/ltgreen wires and like I said I can get the starter to turn over and the fuel pump to turn on. Are there any grounds that come out of the big white plug that I need to deal with?

The truck that I pulled the harness off of was an auto and I am using it on a manual application. The plug that I think went to the auto trans is just hanging out right now. Is there a neutral safety switch or something that I need to couple? Would the engine turn over if a neutral safety switch wasn't hooked up?
you are getting power to the coil just not clear on that and I was just talking to a guy with a exploder with your conversion but there is some confusion on the wiring for the neutral switch for one you need backup lights or not but you have the clutch switch and the neutral sense switch that communicate with the computer the 1990 schematic I have shows the black and white out of each goes to the computer and sensors I believe it throws it into a closed loop the pink is from the ignition in start your works and the white/black feeds the two switches. But he has spark with a hard start or no start. maybe you could jumper the tranny switch connector wht/blk to blk/wht and use the clutch switch as the safety for the start same colors just make sure it is not in gear when you crank on it if you bypass the safety switches. If you jumper the switches I dont know what that can do to the computer if anything because it only works with the inginion in the start position dont short any wires.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Did you get the ground for the EDIS connected metal to metal

Eddie85

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
I am going to try and bypass the neutral safety switch tonight. It shouldn't hurt anything since my clutch switch is hooked up properly. I have never had a manual that had to be in neutral to start anyways. I believe I have the EDIS grounded. I haven't unwound any of the conduit from the harness that I got to see if the wire that I grounded is for the EDIS. I am going to do more research on the grounds tonight as well.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
an automatic has to be in park neutral for the starter to enguage

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
I believe pin #9 is for the ground on your EDIS if your getting power to it and the computer you should get spark either way power to the computer is pin #1 memory and I believe 37 an 57 is key on my schematic is real blurry what we are thinking is the start circuit throws the computer into a closed loop for a fast start

Eddie85

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Thanks for your help so far. I will look into this at the shop tonight. I may be on with more questions come tomorrow. Hopefully not.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
No problem let us know either way tho we like to know solutions also