•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

No Spark

mikeskull

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I JUST REPLACED THE TFI MOD AND THE COIL I GOT POWER TO THE TWO RED WIRES TO THE COIL IM STUCK CAN SOMEBODY HELP:icon_idea:

Ranger5.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
um, so, the TFI modual doesnt dontrol power to the coil...it controls the ground side if the primary circuit. bad conections somwhere maybe?

poorboy4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
do a WIGGLE test on all the connectors, thats worked for me a few times:yahoo:

richardl0565

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Take the +/- plug off the coil and the condenser and you can use an 1156 bulb and 2 short pieces of wire. You will need someone to crank over the engine while you do this. Stick one wire into each of the connector contacts then take the wire from the ground side (green with yellow stripe) and hold it to the ground contact on the 1156 bulb. while holding that take the wire from the positive side (Red wire) and hold it to the positive contact on the bulb. You will not get a shock. While doing this have someone crank over the engine and if the light flickers on and off than you know your TFI and Pickup module inside the distributor are AOK. if you do not have spark than you either have a bad ground between the TFI and the coil (this is the 2nd wire up on the TFI from the bottom its the green with yellow stripe) or your pickup module probably is defective.

mikeskull

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
all right now iv put a brand new distributor ,rotor and cap still no spark. so i took off the tfi connector and put my volt tester in the (#3 pin the run power) there is no power with motor on or off but the (#6 pin pip out and #4 pin start signal) has 5 to 6 volts when the motor is on.:dntknw:

mikeskull

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
ok i try the light blub on the coil wires and got nothing

Bronco_Chuck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
84, 86 & 89
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 & 2.9
its probably your computer. if you have a scan tool you can check it easly, the same thing happened on my 86 bronco 2. after i put in a new computer it ran great.

IMenriched

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02'
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
2.9 & 5.4
Have you checked the ignition relay (on the fender).

do you hear the fuel pump prime up? {Key on engine off} they should be heard for about 2-4sec

mikeskull

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
ya the fuel pump works fine. just no spark i so lost :icon_confused:

BlackBII

Cheaf of Grammor Poleace
Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I ran into a no sparking problem on my 90 BII, I replaced everything with no luck. I eventualy got spark when I wiggled the wire harness coming from the TFI module itself. It turns out I had a wire shorting or grounding out inside the TFI ignition shield(a few wires are wrapped in a black covering with raw wiring in it, 'shielding' those wires, you can see this on a wiring diagram). I went to a wrecking yard and pulled the 8 inches or so of harness, one side plugs into the tfi and one plugs into a gray plug by the valve cover, replaced mine with it and she then fired right up!
Juts something to check I guess....
Good luck man!

Your's is a 89 it looks like, it may be the same it may not...
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/EDiagrams/files/Diagram_Ignitionsystem_1990_2_9.JPG

Last edited:

mikeskull

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
ya iv tryed the wiggle test. now i have ran a new ground wire from the tfi to the coil thats checks out good now but im still not getting any puls

richardl0565

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
No spark.

It is your Pickup module inside the distributor that now seems defective. thats what your TFI module plugs into. Its a hassle getting that off. you need to pull the distributor, remove the gear on the bottom of the distributor and slide the shaft out of the distributor from the top. This is a big Pain in the A55. you need to use a punch to push the pin through the gear and pull off the gear. its probably tarnished and will be a bear to take off. be carefull its real brittle and will break pretty easily if your not careful. plus the tarnish on the shaft makes the shaft rather difficult to remove from the distributor housing. but to replace the pickup module than you have to do it this way or just pickup a new distributor, without the TFI (since you have a new one already) the distributor is only $72 at Autozone and comes with a new Pickup module already installed (they usually have motorcraft brand). If you do get a new distributor make sure you take the old one so you dont get zapped for the core charge. I believe this will remedy your problem .Plus make sure you put a nice coat of dielectric grease on the tfi when you reinstall it.

Last edited:

mikeskull

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Iv all ready put a brand new distribtor,rotor,cap,coil and the tfi mod, and i took the tfi back to autozone to have them test it so i no its good. Do you think it could be the computer and how do i check the computer?

richardl0565

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
There is no power going to the TFI module on connector 3 than you have break in the power line that runs between the + (red wire) side of the coil. that wire only runs between the ignition switch (which is ok because you are getting power to the coil on the red wire), it runs to the coil which I just referenced, and to your TFI #3 connector (also red wire). These are the only things that connect to that wire. It does not go through the computer and since you get power to the coil + side (red wire) take and splice a new wire in the line 3 inches or so from the TFI plug #3 connector (red wire) to
the ignition coil. Do not eliminate the red wire going into the coil because this is your power feed for the coil and the TFI module. just add it to the coil power feed wire there. Now check and see if you have the pulse by doing the affore mentioned light bulb test. you will have power now. The PCM (computer does not control power to the TFI module your ignition switch does. You will get spark Im certain. after doing this check than you can replace the original wire in the harness if you want but dont have to. I appologize but I have to reitterate, do not eliminate the red wire going to the coil just splice the wire there and at #3 connector on the TFI module. Also make sure you have the right wire. Sorry about sounding so redundant.
Rich