•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Non-standard trailer wiring harness?

ItsATravisT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
I recently bought a Hopkins 4-flat trailer wiring harness for my '88 B2, part number 40405. When I got under the B2 to connect into the existing harness, I realized it didn't match up. I suspect a prior owner may have re-wired the taillights, and used a non-standard harness. I've attached a picture of the connector under the B2 (gray connector) and the new connector (black connector). You can see that the slots do not match up... Anyone have any ideas on what make/model/year connector that gray one might be? I'd prefer to just buy the matching harness, rather than re-wire the taillights.

shadetreebronco

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
I used the same Hopkins #40405 , 87-91 Bronco II plug in simple wiring kit and had the same problem , if you cut off a nub on the Hopkins harness and a nub on the truck harness it will work , easily done with a utility knife.(both side connectors need to be cut)

I also had to add about 6" of conductors between the DS and PS to make it fit out of the way of a Curt 2" receiver hitch.

If you are adding a hitch the wires should fit better if installed before the hitch.