•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Not Another CTOR Build

CheapThrillB2

May 2010 OTOTM
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1975-1995 Ford
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
soon 5.8L
The reason the leafs flex better than the coils has absolutely nothing to do with the springs. If you 4 or 5 linked the axle the coils would do as well if not better. The radius arm solid axle Ford suspension is one giant sway bar. Thats the reason they make wristed arms and wristed axles. RB
yep....i just didn't want to spend the money nor the time to wrist or ext. heim the arms.....and the leafs are simple and easy to fix if/when a problem arises

Rulebreaker

U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
yep....i just didn't want to spend the money nor the time to wrist or ext. heim the arms.....and the leafs are simple and easy to fix if/when a problem arises
I understand, It's just that allot of people blame the coil springs and it's the suspension that limits the travel in this case.

Mutant Pony

Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Well said Rulebreaker. The best flex is actually a 3 link, Were a 4 link does the same as the radius arms but are more flexible. The 3 link doesn't inhibit articulation at all. The problem is that if you take away ALL the sway control you end up with a very unstable vehicle. The first time I did a donut with the 'Frog I thought I was gonna die!

Bray D

2012 UA Ranger
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
if you'd run a 3 link you'd have to have full hydro, unless I'm missing something.

pics look good-those are 35's no? I guess you do have a decent amount of lift but I'd say the clearance looks fine with the engine crossmember.

viperfangs2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L v6
fender and core support removed

How did you do this and also if i did that to my 86 ford ranger could i put a newer fender and core support off a 89-91 ford bronco 2 or ranger!!

CheapThrillB2

May 2010 OTOTM
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1975-1995 Ford
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
soon 5.8L
drilled all the spot welds and it falls off

Mutant Pony

Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
if you'd run a 3 link you'd have to have full hydro, unless I'm missing something.

pics look good-those are 35's no? I guess you do have a decent amount of lift but I'd say the clearance looks fine with the engine crossmember.
the steering system and a three link have a huge conflict yes. The hydraulic steering system eliminates the steering system from conflicting with the suspension. Although you are still using a track bar as in the original radius arm system so you can run conventional steering.
The nicest thing about the leaf system is that you lose the track bar. You have better control over the front of your truck over the rough stuff.

CheapThrillB2

May 2010 OTOTM
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1975-1995 Ford
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
soon 5.8L
oh got some stuff done......just about ready for the Badlands May 2nd.

Got the cage painted and welded in some more bracing etc....Cage is down for now till after the Badlands. Got the Pass Seat mounted and the 5 point i got from General (thanks Buddy) mounted up. Also mounted my CB to the top of the cage at the cieling.

Heres a shot messing around with Holshotracers Rig

I also worked on my rear and front bumper. You can see in the above pic how wide the bumper was. I took about 5 inches off each side.

then a clubmate made me some D-Ring mounts so i got those installed

got two in the front as well

Then i had some diamond plat laying around so i added that to the bumper as well

Next i'll be getting 2 DOT approved Fire Extingquishers to mount on the cage in the B2 as well.

CheapThrillB2

May 2010 OTOTM
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1975-1995 Ford
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
soon 5.8L
bought two 2 lb Extingquishers
aproved by DOT and coast gaurd,
covers elec fire and flammable liquid including gas, gonna mount both to the cage

newest mod............

Cost me all of $15 and about 20 minutes of my time.....need to figure somethig different for the handle. The linch pin works enough for me to try it out around the yard (Fawking Awesome). I'll have to stop at TSC or Ace and find somethign better to use.

CheapThrillB2

May 2010 OTOTM
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1975-1995 Ford
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
soon 5.8L
i searched the forum, and the tech library. Was suprized not to find any info on how or even pics

Bray D

2012 UA Ranger
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
is this a hand throttle I'm lookin at?

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
BIGGER
the steering system and a three link have a huge conflict yes. The hydraulic steering system eliminates the steering system from conflicting with the suspension. Although you are still using a track bar as in the original radius arm system so you can run conventional steering.
The nicest thing about the leaf system is that you lose the track bar. You have better control over the front of your truck over the rough stuff.
with crossover steering you still want the trac bar.

well if you want to comfortably cruise the freeways anyway. especially the shithole detroit ones.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
BIGGER
i know i will be jealous if you run the springs unmodified from the original setup and dont fawk them up on the pink.

i was busting the fawkers in my yard. of course...v8 ext cab...so weight was an issue. that and i had a lil more unsprung wt. busting the yokes was the worst part cause i actually had to buy a seal and yoke and joint. i hate buying shit:annoyed:..

and i cant keep my front pinion from leaking since the second one got splattered.:icon_confused:

good luck at the badlands...i dont think you need any though. seems like you got er going good.

CheapThrillB2

May 2010 OTOTM
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1975-1995 Ford
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
soon 5.8L
oh its getting so damn close now, i can't wait. It better happen soon though the cost of the trip just keeps going up.

Bray D

2012 UA Ranger
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
awesome, I researched those a little bit a LONG time ago. never got around to doing it. your trip is coming up pretty quick, I won't be able to make it. I should comfortably have all my work done by memorial day weekend, maybe I'll make it over there then.

CheapThrillB2

May 2010 OTOTM
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1975-1995 Ford
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
soon 5.8L
awesome, I researched those a little bit a LONG time ago. never got around to doing it. your trip is coming up pretty quick, I won't be able to make it. I should comfortably have all my work done by memorial day weekend, maybe I'll make it over there then.

we leave may 2nd and return may 4th