•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Not Another CTOR Build

CheapThrillB2

May 2010 OTOTM
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1975-1995 Ford
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
soon 5.8L
i was going to extend them, put joints on the end, tube inserts, tube, new crossmember.

at the same time i was going to push the front axle out 2"s, which ment new coil buckets, shock mounts, and steering geo., and a trac bar mount.

I already have the leafs, already have the flat top knuckles, steel to build leaf mounts, and already have shackles. That just leaves me to buy the steering set-up. And with the springs i am using the clamp hole is offset so putting the leafs in place pushs the front 2" further forward then stock location.

CheapThrillB2

May 2010 OTOTM
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1975-1995 Ford
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
soon 5.8L
well got some stuff done.

Hooked up my new air compressor, out together my new 12 ton press, wired up and played a little with my new plasma cutter.

Got my front spring pack put together, bought my spring perches for the axle. Got one of the two remaining wedges off the axle. Amd disassmebled the Front Chevy D44 i bought for the flat top knuckles. Damn thing had a busted bearing and is stuck on the spindle hub. Have to bring it to work and clean up all the parts.

Now i was told with doing the flat top chevy knuckle swap that i would need to reuse the chevy stubs, but when comparing to the Ford D44 stubs i could not see a difference.

Hope it doesn't get to cold the next few days, i hope to make my spring mounts and get the axle mocked into place.

CheapThrillB2

May 2010 OTOTM
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1975-1995 Ford
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
soon 5.8L
I just ordered

Hi-Steer Arms and studs/nuts/washers
Chrome moly shafts for left/right
and in a little while an aussie locker for the front

bandit

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
95'
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
cool slide show, watching it make me work harder on finishing my truck:icon_hornsup::3gears:

OhShietitzMike

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
great work on this project . . . i just tuned in . . lol . . but i'm a bit confussed on y u have such issuses w/ the shafts . . . but i think it may be the welded gears . . . i have a dana 28 front w/ stock gears n carrier, 36x12.5x15 n i have no problems . . . n i do some hard core wheelin . . .

ne way good luck w/ the new axle setup . . . it should work well for u . . .

zainyD]

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Now i was told with doing the flat top chevy knuckle swap that i would need to reuse the chevy stubs, but when comparing to the Ford D44 stubs i could not see a difference.
Chevy stubs are longer than Ford D44 stubs.

CheapThrillB2

May 2010 OTOTM
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1975-1995 Ford
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
soon 5.8L
Chevy stubs are longer than Ford D44 stubs.
yep, realized that once i tore down the chevy shafts and was able to compare then better not having the joint nor the other side of the shafts stil attached

CheapThrillB2

May 2010 OTOTM
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1975-1995 Ford
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
soon 5.8L
one more peice of the puzzle (chrome moly shafts)

CheapThrillB2

May 2010 OTOTM
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1975-1995 Ford
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
soon 5.8L
great work on this project . . . i just tuned in . . lol . . but i'm a bit confussed on y u have such issuses w/ the shafts . . . but i think it may be the welded gears . . . i have a dana 28 front w/ stock gears n carrier, 36x12.5x15 n i have no problems . . . n i do some hard core wheelin . . .

i have another Bronco 2 that is 2.9L 5spd with D28 and 7.5 welded front and rear on 32's or 33's. And i mud bog that truck and loose both outer shafts per bog. I have a pile of about 20 D28 shafts in my garage

ZSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size

Wheeling in 2wd isn't much fun.

Evan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV

Man, going by that I should be able to run 44s on my Dana 35.

I assume you're D28 is not locked, and you don't get too carried away with the skinny pedel.

OhShietitzMike

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
Man, going by that I should be able to run 44s on my Dana 35.

I assume you're D28 is not locked, and you don't get too carried away with the skinny pedel.[/QUOTE]

right . . . i crawl through tough trails n gas it when need be but i don't slam on the pedal when i know it's gonna break something . . .

when i had my 34's on i snapped the outers twice . . . but those tires were much stiffer n i had to force the truck over obsticles . . . now w/ the 36's the truck just rolls right over big rocks . . . plus i don't go through much mud (unless it just rained) . . .

CheapThrillB2

May 2010 OTOTM
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1975-1995 Ford
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
soon 5.8L
well i got two of the leaf brackets welded up and mocked onto the frame and one spring in position. I hope tomorrow to get the other spring mocked up so i can get the axle housing in place and weld my perches on. I am waiting on my hi-steer arms and to buy ball joints and u-bolts before i can really get the front axle set in place. Still haven't bought a locker. Hoping to find a used one so i can save a few bucks but looks like i will be buying a new aussie.

CheapThrillB2

May 2010 OTOTM
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1975-1995 Ford
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
soon 5.8L
got the other leaf mocked into place and the axle under the leaves and the perches tacked into place. Tomorrow i hope to buy the u-bolts. Nothing will happen Fri. though, Fri is the evening i spend all nite with just me and my son. But saturday is my day off and i plan to be out there all day and taking pics and getting ALOT done.

CheapThrillB2

May 2010 OTOTM
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1975-1995 Ford
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
soon 5.8L
everything is n the early mock-up and nothing is set-up and secured yet. Everything is put together just enough right now to get dimensions and mock-up complete. After i get everything "mocked up" i will be tearing it back down and securig everything properly.

Rulebreaker

U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Looks like the front of my F350. Hopefully it rides nicer than mine. RB

CheapThrillB2

May 2010 OTOTM
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1975-1995 Ford
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
soon 5.8L
actually i think i may have to add another leaf, i was jacking up on the axle and it compressed quite a bit before it lifted off the jackstands. But thats the beauty of the leafs. I can add and take away real easy. Unlike buying a different pair of coils to find the right ones. Also ride is not a concern. With 36" TSLs and 8" of lift with lockers front and rear, a qaulity ride doesn't work out.

Rulebreaker

U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
actually i think i may have to add another leaf, i was jacking up on the axle and it compressed quite a bit before it lifted off the jackstands. But thats the beauty of the leafs. I can add and take away real easy. Unlike buying a different pair of coils to find the right ones. Also ride is not a concern. With 36" TSLs and 8" of lift with lockers front and rear, a qaulity ride doesn't work out.
I have been saying for years that I'm going to either coil the front or reverse shackle it. She only has two leafs but they are flat and like 5/8" thick and they don't move. Yours look much more compliant. RB