•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Not Another CTOR Build

LIMA BEAN

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Is that a rock or a giant tater on the drvr side? Other side is well you know... bent in. I dig rip snortin mountain goats and thats on its way bro. Cool

CheapThrillB2

May 2010 OTOTM
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1975-1995 Ford
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
soon 5.8L
got my pass knuckle back today, i hope to get back at it for a bit saturday bight and sunday morning. I gotta get the knuckle on a nd it sitting so i can measure for the steering arms.

CheapThrillB2

May 2010 OTOTM
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1975-1995 Ford
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
soon 5.8L
got a small amount done today, was feeling a little rough after last nite. Small hang over

pass side knuckle finished and assm and on the truck

got the tie rods sitting on the arms. Had to measure the length of the tubes to buy and thread.

width turned out almost dead on with the 8.8 and adapters.

just a shot from the front

also played with a buddies harbor frieght bender and was able to bend some 1 1/4 into 90s without any type of kinking so next weekend i'll probably start building the cage in it.

danger88ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Were you using pipe or tubing in that bender?

CheapThrillB2

May 2010 OTOTM
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1975-1995 Ford
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
soon 5.8L
Were you using pipe or tubing in that bender?
Its 1-1/4" Sch 40 A500 grade B, so thats 1.66" OD with a 0.140" wall, which is stronger than the usual mild steel HREW 1-5/8" 0.120" wall that most people use.

http://www.greatlakes4x4.com/showthread.php?t=1919

okay having never built a cage nor have helped with building a cage and using a harbor freight bender i have to admit building a cage SUCKS.......oh and not having an actual tube notcher doesn't help either.....

heres my progress thus far

got everything tacked all good and nice then start welding and the stupid things warps and becomes a PITA.....pretty much all my plans backfired. Go at it again tomorrow and hopefully get it close to finished up.

FLAME ON :buttkick:

Evan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
As long as you have the cage anchored well to the frame and your welds are decent, I think that should hold. I can see how it could be a bitch to implement a cage.

Any plans to get your doubler working in this rig?

CheapThrillB2

May 2010 OTOTM
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1975-1995 Ford
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
soon 5.8L
yeah the doubler may find its way into the B2, right now all my bits and peices are off at a buddies race shop, hes looking into building one peice shafts for it and others.

Bray D

2012 UA Ranger
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I think the cage looks great, especially using the HF bender. keep up the good work and I'm sure you'll find a way to make it turn out the way you plan.

CheapThrillB2

May 2010 OTOTM
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1975-1995 Ford
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
soon 5.8L
I think the cage looks great, especially using the HF bender. keep up the good work and I'm sure you'll find a way to make it turn out the way you plan.
i spent quite a bit of time playing with the bender useing used pipe to get to a point to where i could make the bends with no kinks and no dimples in the pipe. Once i got the hang of it i went and bought the new stuff and started the cage. I was happy with the bends, i don't have a single dimple or kink in any of the pipes.:3gears:

Bray D

2012 UA Ranger
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I used sch40 when I made my doors and didn't have problems with kinking, it just flattened out the corners. whats your secret? did you fill the pipe before bending?

CheapThrillB2

May 2010 OTOTM
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1975-1995 Ford
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
soon 5.8L
I used sch40 when I made my doors and didn't have problems with kinking, it just flattened out the corners. whats your secret? did you fill the pipe before bending?
i played with the roller settings on the bender till i found just the right spot for the pipe i was using. And the type of pipe i used....they make a few different types of pipes in that size that vary in strength and construction.....thats why i was so anal about what kind of pipe i bought. I had to call several places in my area before i found the pipe i wanted.

Last edited:

Rulebreaker

U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
i spent quite a bit of time playing with the bender useing used pipe to get to a point to where i could make the bends with no kinks and no dimples in the pipe. Once i got the hang of it i went and bought the new stuff and started the cage. I was happy with the bends, i don't have a single dimple or kink in any of the pipes.:3gears:
So what's the secret? RB

CheapThrillB2

May 2010 OTOTM
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1975-1995 Ford
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
soon 5.8L
no secret, just found the right position of the rollers and sprayed the rollers with PB Blast before each bend and took it slow supporting the pipe at both ends. I bought some used pipe at $6 a 10 ft stick. And tried it position of the rollers with the used pipe until i found a postion that didn't kink or dimple the pipe. I found i could easily make a 90 with no damage

CheapThrillB2

May 2010 OTOTM
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1975-1995 Ford
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
soon 5.8L
well today i got all the imterior plates drilled and bolted to the floor and wrapped up the B-Pillar and forward. So all that is done. Still have to put the harness bar and cross brace the b-pillar. But i started on the back half of the cage and got both hoops bent and a couple top bars installed but the chop saw wheel wore out so that ended my day. Heres a couple shots.

Spent the rest of the afternnon doing clean-up in the garage, it was in desperate need of it. Wife came out to see progress and wanted to know why i can't help keep the house as clean and picked up as i do the garage lol.

ellabilt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Wife came out to see progress and wanted to know why i can't help keep the house as clean and picked up as i do the garage lol.
Ah yes, I see I'm not the only one who has had that conversation with the Mrs.

B2 is lookin good!!!!!!!!!!!

Branger2B

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/86
Vehicle
ford
yeah the doubler may find its way into the B2, right now all my bits and peices are off at a buddies race shop, hes looking into building one peice shafts for it and others.
CA$H in hand if you can send one this way.. when there done! im in canada. let me know when they become available. -CT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
BIGGER
I have been saying for years that I'm going to either coil the front or reverse shackle it. She only has two leafs but they are flat and like 5/8" thick and they don't move. Yours look much more compliant. RB

are you the guy that was making fun of my junk in lake city last week?:stirthepot:

spdcrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
mostly 86
Vehicle
B2
Engine Size
2.9 bored and cammed
holy shit that looks good. i'm increditably envious of your access to a tube bender. i want to add to my cage and bring it forward aswell. but its kinda hard when all i got is some thin square tubing and a 110 wire feed. haha.

looking good all the way around.

viperfangs2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L v6
WOW that is crazy cool

How much did all this cost you?