•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

OD trans verses the C5

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
So I know you guys don't like the OD auto trans found in the Bronco IIs. But I'm guessing that is somewhat dependent on the fact that most or many of you off road your truck. So the question is . . are their problems with that trans if used 100% on the street? I would just like to have an OD trans than my C5 trans.

Will

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Well, you don't use overdrive much offroad.

The fact is, the Bordeaux region of France makes better wines than they do transmissions.

But really, look in the tech library up at the top of the page. There is an article about what the problems were with the A4LD and how it was corrected.

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
and see I never use my vehicle off road . . thus the question about the a4ld on a street only vehicle. I'm sure many of you would like to have my 54K original mile C5 :)

Will

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
The interesting thing is, the C3 was used in the Pinto, but when they put the 2.8 V6 in the little trucks, the larger C5 went behind it. The C5 is the C4 and you could get a C4 in anything up to an F250 probably. When they needed an overdrive they modified the C3 for it. I'm guessing because it was easier to do. So now you get the C3 in the Ranger/B2/Explorer. That it came from the factory with an auxillary cooler ziptied ahead of the radiator tells me it must have been showing its ass before it even hit the streets.

It's the same as every other tranny--filled with clutches and steels and planetaries and bands and servos and pistons. There are people out there that can make them last. Have a look at THIS.

85_Ranger4x4

December 2013 OTOTM
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Suspension Style
4wd
The C-3 was available in the very stripped down four cylinder Ranger's in the early years.

Take care of the A4LD in a stock vehicle and they can give good service. My parents have 170k on their '94 Explorer and haven't had to touch the transmission aside from routine maintenance.

Last edited:

Totalled

Law Enforcement
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
8 rabid gophers
2wd 83/84 2.8s used the C3.

The AOD was actually based loosely around the FMX.

The A4LD sucks. Get a 5 speed manual if you want overdrive.