•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

OhhhhhhhKay

kevinsranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
wow you are moving fast on this project. its looking really good.

rickcdewitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
4-0 swap
How tough are these things going to be?
When you/fenders get coxy with a tree what will they act like? I'm guessing they are not as tough as metal, but perhaps more resilient?
they will crack and or shatter when banged on stuff depending on how stiff he makes them.just the shape will make them pretty stiff.
but the nice thing is he can repair them almost into infinity by feathering out the cracks and doing more layups.there are toughening agents you can buy to make it more crack resistant but may or may not be worth the cost.
a tube wheel opening reinforcement would definately cut down on the damage and keep the whole flare from getting ripped off:icon_surprised:

CopyKat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Here just for your rick.

I've been looking around for prices and here is what I have come up with. a guy at work helped me figure out the resin amounts.

We figure it will be about 120 cubic feet of resin per fender. based on a 70% cloth amount to 30% resin. This works out to about .52 gal of resin. 1 gal resin is $45. so I'd need atleast 2.

The 1.5 oz chop strand mat is 50" wide and they sell by the meter (50") and it's $7.50 per meter. so even for 3 layers of glass I would need atleast 12 panels 50x50 (Guestimate)

Catylist is $8 for an 8oz bottle.

So if you add it all up about $90 for resin and about $90 for mat, and thow in $20 for 16 OZ of catylist. I'm looking at about $220 total (with taxes) for materials.
So I get nearly 4 fenders for the price of one. ($150 plus $75 shipping per fender)

rickcdewitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
4-0 swap
Here just for your rick.

So I get nearly 4 fenders for the price of one. ($150 plus $75 shipping per fender)
thats the beauty of knowing how to make your own composites.the curse is perpetually itchy arms and the nasty chemicals.

120 cubic feet to a half gallon? do you mean cc's or cubic inches?:icon_twisted:

your estimate sounds good on the resin but i don't use much mat since its really for boats and cars(too heavy for planes,and i get woven glass for bulk cost).it definately soaks up a lot of resin.

it may sound stupid but you should wear eye protection when mixing in the cataylst for polyester resin.its very thin and splashes easy and is by far the most deadly chemical that they have at the aircraft shop i worked at.less than a drop is enough to permanently blind you.and GLOVES,gloves gloves!

as far as the mat,you might wet out a sample once you figure out how many layers you want so you know how thick it will be before hand.

oh yeah,and is that brown bronco a replacement for old grey with the terminal cancer?

CopyKat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
oh yeah,and is that brown bronco a replacement for old grey with the terminal cancer?

Nope. This one is a parts truck I'm stripping. The rust on mine isn't that bad. Nothing a bit of panel welding won't fix.

I've got minty doors, and another hood. The roof and around the windows will need some attention but it's really nothing I'm too worried about.

This thing may hit paint this year. I've been waiting to get these fenders done, and change out the wiper cowl.

rickcdewitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
4-0 swap
got bigger pics? did you finish the panels or is that the plug ready for layups?

rickcdewitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
4-0 swap
:icon_thumby: i was thinking to myself god damn he works fast if those are the finished product.how'd you fill the foam?

dusto2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
man those are looking sweet good job

rickcdewitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
4-0 swap
haha yeah tin foil works too as a release

Boggin

Reaction score
thats coming along awesomely man, might have to try it myself sometime! lol

yea my pop was just in he's 78 and he said your crazy and this whole site is crazy cause they lift our trucks and put big wheels on them ahahha