•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

oil pressure question

geoffthepoolguy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
I just put a mechanical oil pressure gauge on the B2. At start up pressure is right around 50 which to me seems normal. After driving around a few miles the pressure drops to about 22 psi at idle. Is this a normal condition for 2.9 engines? If not, any suggestions?:icon_confused:

Tedybear

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989, 2001
Vehicle
1989=Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9 V6
Normal. In fact it's about 10 lbs higher then our 2.9 at hot idle in gear. Rule of thumb is about 10lbs of oil pressure for every 1,000 RPM. Down the highway @ about 65 it should read high (45-60ish) and when coming to a stop light, it'll drop with the lowered RPM's.

This isn't a 'slam', however your reaction is the exact reason Ford started using 'dummy gauges' for oil pressure. Back in the day, people didn't know how oil pressure reacts to engine RPM, Temp, and viscosity. People would bring their cars/trucks back to the dealership complaining because after driving their car/truck? The oil pressure would be at the lower side of "NORMAL" on the gauge...but when started cold? It'd be at the upper end. Naturally drivers became concerned their engine was bad. When in fact? It's pretty much normal. That's why most of the time we suggest putting on an aftermarket gauge to get a true sense of what the oil pressures are really doing.

Just keep up with normal oil/filter/lube intervals, use quality filters and oil, and it should be fine. Now if this reading is also running along side engine knocks and oddball sounds? That's the time to be concerned. But if it's running good, smooth, and 'silent'? I wouldn't worry about it.

Have a great day!

S-

geoffthepoolguy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Thanks a lot for the peace of mind. I appreciate it!!!! Have a great day too!