•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Okay 86 transfer case questions?

BabyBronco89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
95' 4.0 OHV
This is my first b2 with a manual trans case, it's the original in the 86 although it was built in 85..
When I bought it I asked if the 4x4 works he said there was a belt that was broke in the t-case?? I was thinking belt?? It's a ford not a Cadillac, lol what I think he was talking about was a chain, but I've never busted one of these bad boys open? Is it something a guy that's been taking things apart for the last 15 years can handle?? Also where might I go to find this chain/ belt?? Also what t case do I have so I can know it by name, my man trans is a fm145 correct?

TEK4x4

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
does the front drive shaft mount to the transfer case with 4 bolts or does it have a slip yoke? bw1354 has a solid flange the bw1350 has a slip yoke. i would suggest just going to your local pick and pull or pull and save and just pull one. i switched mine to the bw1354 and picked it up for like $40. its not worth the time in my opinion to pull one apart and try to fix it. Those cases are in b2 ranger and i got mine from an explorer. theres tons out there just look for the numbers on the back of the case on the bottom. and you will be fine.

Last edited:

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
If you feel like taking the thing a part yes its certainly do-able by a DIYer. It takes time, as you have to take the t-case out of the vehicle, then separate the case, and take the internal parts out in order to get the new chain installed.

It is a chain drive t-case, not a belt, never seen a t-case with a belt, they're either gear drive or chain drive and the ones in the B-2 and the Ranger are both chain driven. If the Previous owner broke that chain he/she had to be doing something seriously wrong.

snoranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
All 10 are Ford
Engine Size
4.0,5.0,4BT,4.0
does the front drive shaft mount to the transfer case with 4 bolts or does it have a slip yoke? bw1354 has a solid flange the bw1350 has a slip yoke. i would suggest just going to your local pick and pull or pull and save and just pull one. i switched mine to the bw1354 and picked it up for like $40. its not worth the time in my opinion to pull one apart and try to fix it. Those cases are in b2 ranger and i got mine from an explorer. theres tons out there just look for the numbers on the back of the case on the bottom. and you will be fine.
FYI: Not all 13-50s are slip joint. The '87-89 STX case had a 13-50 with a fixed front output. So don't use that as your only reference.