•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Pertronix Flame Thrower TFI Module issue

Broncotim

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Today I removed the Motorcraft TFI module on my 1988 Bronco II 2.9L. I did this as I have had issues with the TFI overheating and causing running issues. I bought a Pertronix FlameThrower TFI Module as it claims it protects better from overheating. It installed with no issues. Upon starting my Bronco would stutter and would not idle correctly. I adjusted timing with no improvement. I re-installed my Motorcraft and its running fine. Has anybody had this issue. Does anyone know why the Pertronix would not work? Thanks.

crosshairs4495

Reaction score
When you set timing did you disconnect the pip spout while,the battery was disconnected if not the timing won't change its a little plug on passenger side of the engine . Maybe try heat shielding around the plug. I had a stuttering issue which turned out to be a leak in my fuel pressure regulator right where it goes into the fuel injectors. Which solved half if,my,issue the other issue was I had 2 of my spark plugs got mixed after doing those 2 things and correcting the timing (because i timed it to run correctly with the leak *very bad idea do not attempt may cause fire*) she runs like new engine could you post some pictures of your engine compartment?

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

IIBRONCOS

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
I would suggest to just relocate the Motorcraft TFI module, and put it on a heat sink. I relocated mine to the top of the evaporator housing facing away from the engine. I used a piece of flat stock aluminum with heat transfer grease and the module stays much cooler, and you can really feel the heat when you touch the aluminum.